delete solid body

How do I create a feature that deletes a solid (or surface) body from the model? I have a few solids that are hanging out in space, and it would be difficult just to extrude-cut them out of the model.

Thanks

Reply to
Aggrevated

How do I create a feature that deletes a solid (or surface) body from the model? I have a few solids that are hanging out in space, and it would be difficult just to extrude-cut them out of the model.

Thanks

Reply to
Aggrevated

SolidWorks has a "Delete-Body" feature that would be an entry in the design tree. I can't find the equivilant in Pro/e

Reply to
Aggrevated

SolidWorks has a "Delete-Body" feature that would be an entry in the design tree. I can't find the equivilant in Pro/e

Nothing that I know of in Pro/e. It doesn't have 'bodies', it has features. Why is it so hard "just to extrude-cut them out of the model"? I probably just don't understand the problem as I have no way of picturing it (3D is best!). But, aside from Pro/e having no parallel functionality, the problem itself doesn't sound that difficult. Could we focus on solving some problem that you actually describe (really..... the problem, not HOW you solved it in some other software [too much assumed knowledge] but what you were trying to accomplish, where you were trying to get to, not your thrashing around {aimlessly, wildly, desperately} in the Pro/e jungle)? Could be some help if we knew what you were up to.

David Janes, A.D.

Reply to
David Janes

Try an extruded cut.

Or go back and model your geometry properly so you don't get bits hanging out in space. Use "to selected" instead of a blind distance. Things like that.

Reply to
graminator

Using the geometry select filter, select a surface on one of the outliers, and then right click to select 'solid surfs' Then hold down control and hit c then v to copy the surfaces in their current position, and then select edit-solidify. Make sure your new solid is selected as a 'remove' and voila, job done.

Reply to
John Wade

I modeled two halves on an injection-molded switch box, then split the two halves. I was left with two solids... top and bottom. I ended up thickening the surface that slit the two halves to encompass the side I wanted to remove.

Guess it works.

But as a side note, I'm left with a bunch of surfaces I used to create the splitting quilt... I just hid them. I would like them to be gone... deleted, not hidden.

Reply to
Aggrevated

Maybe you could have just used solidify. If your part line is planar in at least one direction then an extruded cut would work. If you use thicken you have a dimensional value, which may later on shit itself if you change the curvature of your splitting surface, IOW words if it can't offset any more.

If they're used to make the splitting surface then you need them. Look up Parent/Child relationships in your Help Center.

Reply to
graminator

I modeled two halves on an injection-molded switch box, then split the two halves. I was left with two solids... top and bottom. I ended up thickening the surface that slit the two halves to encompass the side I wanted to remove.

Guess it works.

But as a side note, I'm left with a bunch of surfaces I used to create the splitting quilt... I just hid them. I would like them to be gone... deleted, not hidden.

Couple of points: 1.. Pro/e has a highly refined methodology for mold making; the problems you've encountered, now that I understand a little better what you're trying to do, are not included in Pro/e's methodology. BUUUUTTTT, you have to understand its methodology and get past going back to whatever you were doing before. If you're going to be using Pro/e for mold making, you might seriously consider taking a course on Pro/MOLD-DESIGN and one on surfacing, especially surfacing because you build parts with it but, mainly, in your case, it's a tool for doing other things (like parting molds) where it can help immensely understanding what it is and how it works. 2.. The "pieces" you are talking about are used to build the quilt and will never go away without the quilt failing. If you don't want to see them, hide the layer they are on. In fact, hide the quilt and all the surface patches, once they've done their job. They continue to regenerate when hidden, it's just not possible to select them for any further operations, unless you unhide the layer. 3.. The Master Model approach you've briefly outlined is completely supported by Pro/e. The technique of trim in one direction, save as SideA, trim in the other direction, save as SideB, is quite common. When I used it a while ago, there was an option that allowed "absorbing" the trim quilt. After that, it was neither displayed nor selectable. This was mainly visual re: what's displayed on the screen and, helpfully, got rid of a lot of screen clutter, yet the quilt and all the patches still appeared in the model tree. So, it depends on what exactly you're trying to accomplish as to the exact solution I'd recommend. David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

The mold had a tounge-groove around the outside edge.. no problem, just lots of trimming. What I was having problems with were the nested screw bosses.

I'd cut the other half off, but the parts that nested from the other side were still there. I had to completely model the nesting on all the bosses on the trim quilt to get those pieces out. I would rather have made a general cut, and deleted the pieces that were hanging around after.

Just have to start "thinking in Pro/e" instead of Solidworks. Gotta approach things a little different because of the limitations of this program. Or maybe its my competence limitations in the program.

Either way, I enjoy hating Pro/e... makes for some good cuss sessions on break.

Reply to
Aggrevated

How can you wait until break?

Reply to
graminator

I've "been warned" about excessive cursing at work. hmmm didn't have that problem till I started using Pro/e.

Most people thought I was humerous... screaming profanity at my computer. Others are a bit uptight.

Reply to
Aggrevated

The mold had a tounge-groove around the outside edge.. no problem, just lots of trimming. What I was having problems with were the nested screw bosses.

I'd cut the other half off, but the parts that nested from the other side were still there. I had to completely model the nesting on all the bosses on the trim quilt to get those pieces out. I would rather have made a general cut, and deleted the pieces that were hanging around after.

Just have to start "thinking in Pro/e" instead of Solidworks. Gotta approach things a little different because of the limitations of this program. Or maybe its my competence limitations in the program.

Either way, I enjoy hating Pro/e... makes for some good cuss sessions on break.

".... hating Pro/e", there's where you join the group, there's where we all find common ground, same as they do in most softwares where people must make their living. Including, as you well know, Solidworks. In any case, no one here gets away with saying 'oh, this is easy, this is so intuitive, you don't need training'. Get it, and as much of it, as you can. Lights will turn on, doors will open to places where the air is fresher and breathing is easier.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Yeah, SolidWorks is a pain in the ass too. But I'm comfortable with it, and have learned how to work around it's limitations. When you've worked with a program 7+ years, every day, you don't even have to think about the interface anymore... you just create.

Things that takes me 2-3 hours in pro/e would be done in 15min in SW. I'm out of my comfort zone and it's irritating.

Reply to
Aggrevated