When Will Solidworks Be a 64 Bit Program ?

I am looking to buy a new system and wondering if a 32 bit processor (P4) will be obsolete within the couple of releases of SW, if they go 64 bit. I read that Intel will release a processor with 64 bit extensions this August, but I need the machine now. Anyone know if SW will be both 32 and 64 bit compatible? Or if the current P4 motherboards could be upgraded with a 64 bit processor?

TIA

Reply to
Edge

Right now, SWX is 32 bit, but I think it is safe to assume a 64 bit version will be released once a 64 bit version of Windows is released and becomes established. SWX has not publicly committed to this, and no one really knows when this will happen, but, IMO, it will eventually happen.

I am not sure, but I would doubt it.

My advice: If I really needed a computer now, I would go for an AMD Athlon64 system. The Athlon64 already runs today's 32 bit OS's and software VERY fast: comparable or better than the fastest Pentiums. PLUS, when the transition to 64 bit OS/software does take place, the Athlon64 will be ready with no need for a hardware upgrade. Be sure and get a socket 939 Athlon as this is the newest and most future proof. Socket 939 should be with us for a while.

In short, the Athlon64 offers the best of all worlds right now: Great 32 bit performance, future compatibility with 64 bit software, and a reasonable price.

Reply to
Arlin

I agree. The P4 can't outrun an Athlon64 in SW, so the question is moot.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks for the input. I am almost sold on the AMD. I'm looking at Althon64

3000 - P4 3.0E and according to Toms hardware test
the P4 looks a bit faster. This test is for ProE and UG, so I don't know how well this translates to SW. BTW, I run ProE also. Thoughts?
Reply to
Edge

Well, there are faster CPUs than what you're looking at. I have the Athlon64 3400+, which is only a couple hundred more at newegg. Newer and faster than that run up over $600. I guess you must have a budget.

Tests by people here using the ship in a bottle showed the AMD chips to be a bit faster a couple months ago, even against the Xeon chips.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

One thought: If you are trying (and I do emphasize TRYING) to build a future-proof system, I would HIGHLY recommend any of the following processors: Athlon64 3500+ - 2.2GHz - 512KB L2 - ($499) Athlon64 3800+ - 2.4GHz - 512KB L2 - ($714) Athlon64 FX-53 - 2.4GHz - 1024KB L2 - ($821)

These are all socket 939 processors which is the new socket for performance desktop systems. It supports dual channel unregistered (non-ECC) memory and is generally expected to be around for a while.

Socket 754 is the interface used up till now for the Athlon64 series, generally the 3400+ and down. It only supports single channel unregistered (non-ECC) memory and is expected to last for a while, but more for the budget market.

Socket 940 is the interface used for AMD's Opteron, server/workstation class 64 bit proccessor. It only supports dual channel REGISTERED (ECC) memory, which is more expensive, but more reliable memory normally used in servers.

Reply to
Arlin