which should i purchase solidworks 2004 or solidedge 14

In Adrian's case limit might be the key word if he's stuck with SolidWorks or SolidEdge's methods of dealing with non-native imported geometry.

Other CAD/CAM systems have a much more realistic approach to how the real world works. The small job shop machining business is ultra competitive and time * IS* money.

It sure doesn't help a small machining job shop to be competitive if they are stuck with the one tool approach using feature recognition.

In many cases a small machining job shop would be *far better off* using local geometry editing tools on "dumb solids", which better CAD/CAM systems provide, than by trying to make the entire "dumb solid" smart.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Why would anyone like dealing with Autodesk ???

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Time to raise the bar. :>)

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

hi everyone, thanks for all your replies. I'm definetly going to take a look at alibre.

To answer some of your questions.. Most of the drawings i get are 2d

*.dwg autocad files, which i then import into mastercam. Mastercam is a great cam package but i think it lacks in the cad department especially when i have to create complex surfaces.

When the part shows some surfaces, i then take the 2d file and create a 3d part and the round surfaces that need to be machined.

Sometimes the customer will send me an iges file, which helps me alot, since i don't have to create the part of mastercam. all i have to do is the toolpaths.

Yeah so to answer your questions 90% of the files i recieve are *.dwg while the remaining 10% are iges files.

Reply to
adrian

Then why not get AutoCad and the IGES option?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Perhaps because AutoCad is old, dull and expensive? And above all - it's Autodesk!

Reply to
Mr Atari

But for this need it might be the best answer ... and he may already have it but just lacks the IGES translator bit.

The data you are working with and where it comes from is important, as is your end result.

As he's machining things I doubt he needs a parametric modeler to try design iterations. ALL he probably needs is a way to work (well) with the data from his customers, who seem to use AutoCad .... and then transfer the data to MasterCam IIRC .

Is AutoCad so much more expensive than SW?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

well recently i got a dwg for mold i had to machine, and mastercam was unable to create complex surfaces. So i think i need a good cad package that can let me create complex parts or molds easily.

Can autocad do this?

Reply to
adrian

Nope. Surfacing in base AutoCAD sucks. It's so bad that Rhino

originally was planned as an AutoCAD add-in.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Check the MasterCAM Forum.

If you search through the threads you will find that many MasterCAM users purchase Rhino to handle their surfacing needs and feel like you do that MasterCAM "lacks in the cad department when" one has "to create complex surfaces."

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

....and if he does buy AutoCAD, he still does not get the surfacing he needs !!!

Once again... why would anyone want to deal with Autodesk if they did not have to. Based on what Adrian has posted, I see no reason that he has to.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

You again don't have a clue. Perhaps someone else here does.

No classes or support ?

You can never see much except what someone else posted you can later repeat and claim as your own words/ideas.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

AutoCad (specifically, Adesk in general) is at the bottom of the barrel for such things. Just a bit of speculation if you consider the software purchase a long term investment; Inventor's dwg support is so abysmal one would think Adesk is trying to kill the dwg legacy themselves. In a very few years ... who knows.

=======================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Did you ask the people who gave you the dwg if they could give you the solid or surfaces? I would think that translating the surfaces would be much easier and higher quality than building them yourself.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Ofcourse i did, i would rather do "the least amount of work" that i could possibly do. Unfortunately this specific client only has autocad. And also we get the most amount of work from him.

One of our other clients has Pro/E, so all his part files are iges 3d files, and much easier to work with since i just have to create the toolpaths in mastercam.

Reply to
adrian

"One of our other clients has Pro/E, so all his part files are iges 3d files, and much easier to work with since i just have to create the toolpaths in mastercam."

If you go with IronCAD they license the PTC Granite One kernel so you don't have to go the IGES route. IGES is the least desirable way to import anything.

Further, IronCAD has the best integration with Rhino of *any* CAD/CAM package. Also from what I'm told IronCAD 7.0 will have major surfacing capabilities added to it. On top of all this, IronCAD offers far better editing of imported geometry and because of this IronCAD does not even bother with a FeatureWorks type of product.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Except the fact that it's MasterCam that creates the toolpaths, not IronCad...

And the best alternative must be STEP, not a tiny format as Granite One...

/ Mr Atari

"jon banquer" skrev i meddelandet news:bm5e8e$ickcu$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-168325.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Mr Atari

Drooling moron.

IF you are going from a higher release level to a lower .....

This from the idiot that recommended a package that can ONLY use DXF & IGES and has many times suggested that DXF is better than IGES ...

Since when are *EITHER* CAD/CAM? BOTH are CAD only. WHY would you need *BOTH*?

Poor clueless ....

Find a new press release?

What's a surface? LOL ....

Have YOU ever actually used it? ANY CAD, CAM or CAD/CAM 3D software? NOT AFAIK.

No clues here ... never in a thousand years ...

But then again, ANYTHING is better than anything else people that know 1000 times as much as you do actually use, right? And it changes every post almost ... as long as it''s NOT what someone actually knows and uses .... (or they would call him on "his" never-ending BS about what they know).

Ignore the idiot troll ....

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Are you angry at him? :-)

"Cliff Huprich" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com...

Reply to
Mr Atari

See alt.machines.cnc for details on patient 143c and his long and troubled history. Look for posts from Bill Roberto, Bottlebob, Tim Markoski, etc. I'd go on but it's a long, long, long list.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer