Adding LEDs to Turnouts

I have an N-gauge train with some remote-controlled switch tracks, "snap-switch" type.

This is an older style train, not the DCC type.

I would like to add red and green LEDs to the switch tracks. The switch tracks are operated from the "accessories" terminals of a small power supply which are nominally 17 V AC, (I measured it open-circuit at 17.7 V AC).

The switch tracks are operated by pressing momentarily on a momentary SPDT switch.

I'd like a simple way to hook up the LEDs either at the remote location or at the SPDT switch. Since power to the switch track is applied only momentarily, I suppose that some sort of latching mechanism is needed.

The 17 V AC is part of the complication, it seems.

For reference, the switch tracks are Atlas #'s 2580 and 2581; the power supply is Model Rectifier Corp. Railine 370N.

The switch tracks are apparently solenoid powered.

The power for the tracks only is 15 V DC. I wouldn't want to power the LEDs from that terminal pair because it turns off when the train is stopped, and includes the speed control.

Anybody here ever do this stuff with this type of remote turnout?

My guesses are some sort of relay or solid state relay, but I have no idea what the specific part number or circuit would be.

Thanks.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joseph Sroka-10.2.8

Joe, Check out the circuits that Rob Paisley has developed at:

One of these should do what you want.

Reply to
kt0t

snipped-for-privacy@mindsproing.com (Joseph Sroka-10.2.8) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pool0050.cvx-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net :

Atlas makes a part called a Snap Relay. It is a latching relay based on the design of the turnout control selonoid. You would wire this up to your switch machine as if it was another turnout (A to A, Bto B C to C).You would then have a relay that opperates in sync with your turnout machine and provides a set (maybe two) of contacts for your signaling circuits.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

I can think of four ways to go.

  1. Replace the Atlas snap switch machines with another brand that offers auxiliary contacts to control indicator lamps/LEDs.
  2. Build some kind of electronic circuit to drive the LED's.
  3. Buy the Atlas snap relays which are merely the Atlas snap switch machines driving a set of contacts intead of the points of the turnout. Wire the coils of the snap relays in parallel with the switch machines and wire the LEDs to the contacts.
  4. Go with a Tortoise stall motor switch machine. Tortoise offers slow realistic motion and juice can be left on the machine all the time. You can control a tortoise with a regular spdt toggle switch. You can tell they are set by looking at the handle. If that is not enough you can wire LEDs in series with the Tortoise to give a livelier looking panel.

David Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

One other way would be to go get some of those old style big relays (the ones with the contacts out in the open and are about 1/2" or longer) and remove the contact assembly from them and set them up on the other side of the turnout from the switch motor and have the throwbar move the relay contact from one side to the other. When you do this, don't forget to make sure that all of the insulators are in the stack at the holding end of the contacts or you may end up with a short that will defeat the usage of the contact set. The relays that you want are the ones with screws holding the contacts to the frame of the relay. A SPST contact set is adequate for the job although SPDT contacts will also work as well.

Bob May

"Bob May" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-1.nethere.net:

You can also find these kinds of leaf switches in older tape recorders and pinball machines.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder