Another question, tank cars this time

First I am doing researchm just not everything is here yet. Found a 1943 OERE and another on Modeling the C&O plus several Kalmbach books and 2 on wartime
railroading and one more on the way. Also the Champ book on letter and colors.
My initial guess is that ~40' Single dome is about right for '41-'45. The Athearns look to be a match, available and cheap. The nultidomes came later? How anout the platforms around the dome, correct for the era or later.
I'm also a little confused on the naming ie reporting marks. GATX, UTLX, BEPX etc. I saw an Atheran with B&O on it. Were these usually RR owned or by the oil/gas companies.
Anyone know some 40s era oil company names? I saw a Sinclair car, and Exxon ised to Esso, but Gulf Texaco?
Frank
I'll p[rovide a few clues and then you will have to do a lot a reading.
Gray Ghost wrote:

Foreget this car - not prototypical. Look at the Like Like PK2000 tank cars Multi dooms have been around since almost the start of tank cars.

For your usage avoid the railroad nmae cars. These were used of railroad fuel for the most part. Very, Very few used in interchange traffic.

Join the Steam Freight Car (STMFC) group on Yahoo and start reading the message backlog. Search on tnanks cars and the reporting marks. These guys will keep you on the correct path.
Howard Garner

Thanks!
message

Found a 1943 OERE

2 on wartime

letter and

'41-'45. The

nultidomes came later?

later.
GATX, UTLX, BEPX

owned or by the

car, and Exxon

You might want to take a look at:
http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/pages/TankCars/WWII.html
http://www.alaskarails.org/fp/tankcars.html
And from the UTLX history page http://www.utlx.com/history.asp "When World War II broke out, the threat of enemy submarines kept oil tankers off the seas, and tank cars became crucial to the wartime effort. Nearly 15,000 retired UTLX tank cars were sent to repair shops, where they were refurbished to haul oil in government-run unit trains.
Each day, more than 60 of these dedicated trains rushed oil from refineries to strategic locations across the country. They were hailed as "the stopgap between the dark threat of disaster and ultimate victory."
The UTLX site also has a pictorial history of the tank car at:
http://www.utlx.com/history/TankCarHistory.pdf
(Note: This is a fairly large file, roughly 12Mbytes)
Len
in

not everything is here yet. Found a

the C&O plus several Kalmbach books

one more on the way. Also the Champ

Single dome is about right for '41-'45.

available and cheap. The nultidomes

platforms around the dome, correct for the

naming ie reporting marks. GATX,

with B&O on it. Were these usually RR

companies.
company names? I saw a Sinclair car, and

Texaco?
lHistory/pages/TankCars/WWII.html
cars.html
http://www.utlx.com/history.asp
threat of enemy submarines kept

cars became crucial to the

retired UTLX tank cars were sent to

refurbished to haul oil in

dedicated trains rushed oil from

across the country. They were

dark threat of disaster and

history of the tank car at:

rHistory.pdf
file, roughly 12Mbytes)

Thanks!
--
Title 18 > Chapter 115 > 2381
Treason

[long post snipped]

Just a friendly note, "Ghost"; it's kind of a waste of space here to follow up a long-ish post with a 1-line reply ("Thanks!"). Just a suggestion.

Just being polite and grateful for people sharing thier jnowledge.
Frank
Gray Ghost wrote:

GG:
Multidome tank cars have as many compartments as they have domes, and are for shipping multiple products in one car. They weren't as common as the single-dome cars, but they do look neat in a train. The six-dome Roma Wines car is a fan favorite, but of course one can overdo such things.
If you intend to model the war years, you may want to research the long unit oil trains that ran then, as a submarine-free substitute for oceangoing tankers. Long strings of tank cars are great.
I don't know if the Athearn car has a prototype. I have some, with Richfield paint, because to me the most important attribute of a tank car is the string-of-black-sausages effect. I do think the Athearn car is slightly long to look quite right. Some Mantua/Tyco cars I have had looked better.
I think that the most vital attribute for a realistic model tank-car fleet isn't strict accuracy but proper effect. A dozen grimy black Athearn or Tyco cars mostly decorated with reporting marks and data, with a few oil-company names, would look much better than a collection of perfectly accurate models in the flashiest schemes available. Tank cars also look very good blocked in small groups, rather than scattered through a train; it's therefore advisable to design tank-car receiving industries so they can accept two or three cars. This goes for most cars, of course.
Don't forget Shippers Car Line, SHPX.
There were plenty of old oil companies, but I don't know which ones had tank cars. Using a local favorite for your layout's bulk terminals and gas stations is always a good plan.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote in

Yeah I realized that quickly after some research. Not really appr0priate for a half mile of avagas on the way to England.

Saw that, don't think I'll get 70 cars in a drag, but I'm gonna make it as long as possible.

Someone else said it wasn't right either, to bad they are cheap and plentiful. I'm lloking at the Proto 2000 Type 21s now.

Don't think I'm gonna have terminals, not yet anyway. Mostly long coal drags and tank trains pulling in to change engine and caboose and then move on.

Thanks Frank