Any Other Secret Thomas the Tank Engine Fans?

You're very welcome...
Sorry Rich, I wasn't paying attention.
I've been very busy on Ebay trying to win:
( all HO scale )
Humvees and type water rescue craft. hundreds of ice boxes 1/87 scale blue tarps ( joking, I made them ) Salvation Army meal trucks Red Cross meal trucks etc.
Since tearing out and remodeling the "crescent City section" we have been able to get the spillway in, the refinery & chemical plants in, the yard and loading platforms for the refinery, the three surburban stations for the commuter service as well as a revision of the produce docks in Spanish Fort after the power plant " run through " coal track was installed.
We had been stumped on exactly how we wanted to "see" the downtown area. One of the guys had scratchbuilt the old IC terminal in new Orleans ( that F.L. Wright was on the original design staff for ) and we had moved UPT several times over the past years before finally getting used to where it now resides.
It wasn't until about 6-8 weeks ago that we realized the main reason we could not visualize Crescent City ( no matter how we rearranged buildings and paper dolls ) is because it wasn't supposed to be modeled Pre Katerina, it was always supposed to be Post Katerina.
We've had the Sewage and Water board building and the pumping station for years. It just sorta moved around the layout never finding a home until now. While many areas of the layout have structure and street lighting, Crescent City will be dark with stop signs placed on saw horses next to non powered red lights at intersections, the trashed building now have a home, no windows but curtains hanging out of the openings. Yes, there will be blue tarps on just a few roofs but the water line on all the buildings........found the perfect way to do it.
There will be just a slight view of the chain link fence under the station shelter at UPT that was erected and used as a jail.
The "contra flow" is already in effect in two of the towns north of Crescent city with about 120 vehicles heading north with luggage and boxes strapped to the roofs amd LONG LONG lines at the two gas stations.. ( of course all the city and school busses will be left in the city and not used for evacuation )
No matter how bad you screw up a weathering job, it works fine when modeling a city that has just dried out from being flooded for 4 weeks. ( of course no one likes my idea of putting an old aquarium filled with old nasty water under the layout there just to get the aroma.........................
No, there will be NO helicopters or people on their roofs, or any "major" looting events or bodys, that would be just a little TOO insensitive. But what the hell,, I stayed for the storm, I should be allowed to model what I experienced, shouldn't I ? Besides this is a lot easier than trying to do a Mardi Gras scene, buildinbg the scale floats was driving me even further nuts than I am.
I have not been this excited about a modeling project since....... I discovered John Allens articles as a kid.

    {snipola for bandwidth}

Are they on line and further more, did ya win the auction?
I won 5 humvees and some other assorted things life tents and a few rescue "raft type" boats.

Cool... use them at the club...
I don't watch it regularely but I have the Tomix N Scale set and it is a great attention grabber when I run it on our N-Trak layout displays at Train Shows!
Kids love it! They follow it around the layout.
Peteski
Do you know how annoying it is to build a highly accurate model railway layout, populate it with era perfect rolling stock, devise timetables which replicate that prototype (with carefully devised compressed time to keep some action going) and then have all the viewers migrate to the Thomas the Tank Engine layout because Harold the Helicopter just rose into the air, on an aluminium rod, with his rotor spinning???? Grrrrrrr!
Regards, Greg.P.
"Peter W." wrote:

And your point?
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:49:35 -0500, Big Rich Soprano
wrote:

If you don't get the point here, there is no point in trying to explain it. It's simply lost.
Froggy,
Big Rich Soprano wrote:

I have to have a point???
I built an HO "Toby the Tram Engine" to go on my layout - correct era, totally the wrong location, to attract them back 8-)
Regards, Greg.P.

I guess what i'm saying is their looking and who cares what the kids watch. They're watching something you did!
I suspect that Greg meant this tongue-in-cheek.
But if he didn't, then I have only one thing to say: Lighten up, this is a fun hobby!
After all, we are just bunch of adults (younger and older) playing with highly detailed railroad models (aka. toy trains)!
While I have done some super detailed prototype modeling, I also enjoy the lighter side of this hobby. And even if the Thomas traverses some super detailed realistic module on our N-Trak layout, it still catches the attention of children (aka. posible future model railroaders). The only other realistic models which attract the youngster's attention (at least in the USA) are: Amtrak trains or any long trains (like coal unit or tank unit trains) we run on the layout. Youngsters couldn't care less about some local switching going on.
Sometimes I think that some anal-retentive rivet-counting modelers will spell the end to this wonderful hobby.!
There is a place in this hobby for Proto-scale and for fun whimsical models. Sometimes they might cross paths - no big deal...
Peteski

Ah. I see you haven't run into Greg before. <<weg>>

Your mouth to his ears! (or your fingers to his eyes, in this case!)
Peter W. wrote:

Do you remember the Bent Screwdriver Award in the NMRA Bulletin years ago? Cartoons of wonderfully impossible cars and locos drawn by the the creator of "Thumbs." At one show in the not too distnat past, I saw a couple of modles based on these. Lovely!
Maybe Scale Rails should reprint these, and model contests should have category for such inspired nonsense.
"Model Railroading Is Fun."
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Any posting I end with "Grrrrr" is tongue in cheek! :-)

I have three groups of operating models (ignoring display case "collectors" items) - my main model railway, which I model to the best of my capabilities, and with which I strive for ever higher standards. - British _HO_, which I model for appearance rather than accuracy. - Garden railway in 1:22.5 / 1: 24 scale to a standard best described as "whimsical" and "minimum cost".
Regards, Greg.P.

(Waving hand frantically) . . Ooo, Ooo, I do. Call on me. Froggy,
Froggy @ thepond..com wrote:

Heh heh heh... looks to me like it's GP that doesn't get it.
The point? YOU'RE BORING THEM. You want to count rivets, fine - do it on your own time, not at a public show. If you open the show to the public, then you have to show the public what they want to see.
Where do you think the next generation of model railroaders is going to come from, anyway? It's not going to be from the kids sleeping as their parents carry them past your "perfect" layout - it's going to be from the kids that keep dragging their parents back to the Thomas the Tank Engine layout.
Joe Ellis wrote:

I don't expect the general public to be entranced by accurate models, accurate scenery and reasonably prototypical operation. However, I have often thought that showing those who want to see, the 'geek' extreme of the hobby, or at least something more representative of the serious hobby than toy trains rushing around in circles should be displayed at model railway exhibitions. I tried to do that and consider my efforts justified by the interest shown by a small percentage of the public. My comments about Thomas layouts was entirely tongue in cheek - the children wanting to see Thomas and Harald and Percy and ... is just fine with me as it leaves the serious entusiast with the opportunity to discuss couplers or control systems or whatever.
Regards, Greg.P.

Operation: It's not a free-for-all of trains running helter skelter, hither, thither, and yon, like so many modular setups. It's more like war-gaming in a setting engineered to reflect the realities of actual, real-life railroading in compressed time. The game is the thing. Running trains simply to watch them run is boring as hell.
Froggy,
<Froggy

Agreed, 100%. Running the "coal train", then the "reefer train", then the "Coca-Cola train", then the "Christmas train" is not operation.

Which is why the vast majority of train sims are as boring as hell.
-- Cheers Roger T.