Bachmann 2-6-2 gear reduction?

I've got the little Bachmann 2-6-2 (smoke & light) for my daughter. The problem is that the smoke generator requires the locomotive to run at Mach speeds for it to work decently. Does anyone know of a gear-reduction kit for these little locos, or of a gearset that would work to reduce speeds? Or maybe there is something else I need to do to make it smoke at lower speeds?

I've actually turned the Prairie into an 0-6-0. Being that it is a cheapo locomotive, it wouldn't run around the rails properly. Remove the front and rear trucks...Presto! Works great! ;)

Cheers!

::: computer security consultant ::: the pits -

graphics -

Jan Kohl

Not bad - it WAS a 0-6-0 before Bachmann started messing with it!

Jim Bernier

Jan Kohl wrote:

problem is that the smoke generator requires the

a gear-reduction kit for these little locos, or

else I need to do to make it smoke at lower speeds?

locomotive, it wouldn't run around the rails

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Set the loco up for DCC (OH, MY GOD, Bob is recommending DCC!) and the loco will puff quite nicely while the speed control can be done without fear. Putting the smoke generator on a light or other control will allow it to be turned off when you don't need it.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

AAAAhhhh...great idea, Bob. Hadn't even considered that. Unfortunately, at the moment, it's a bit of a pipe dream to DCC this loco...since nothing else is DCC. Any other ideas?

Cheers!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Kohl

the moment, it's a bit of a pipe dream to DCC this

Put a resistor in series with the motor but not the smoke unit.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Actually, a set of diodes in series will do the job better (use a full wave bridge and put diodes as desired between the + and - pins so that the current flows. This will just change the starting voltage on the motor without restricting the current flow. As to gearing changes, you will have to pretty much make up something yourself and try not to change the gear out on the driver as you may not be able to get the driver to match the others for quarter.