More Broken Locos, J72s

Yep, you guessed it; this hasn't really turned into the running session I'd
hoped for..
I thought I'd mention that my J72 fleet has another 2 casualties taking the
number of working J72s to 0 / 5.
It's not as if they have a hard life, they spend all but a few days a year
in a cabinet, even then there's a lot to choose from.
My main source of irritation is that 3 of them are the supposedly better
Bachmann ones.
The faults I've found are as follows:
2x Mainline LNER 681 split axles
Bachmann LNER 8680 probably gearbox problems
Bachmann LNER 2313 split centre axle
Bachmann LNER 2313 seems to burn off some oil moving slowly then stopped.
While I'll probably be able to fix the Bachmann ones, I can't help being
annoyed by the poor reliability.
The J13 was called upon, but to be honest this locomotive a bit on the
grotesque side and doesn't even run nicely.
The 0F 0-4-0 stopped when it was hot enough to nearly burn me. Chances are
it won't work either next time.
I think it's time there was a new LNER 0-6-0. I appreciate that there are
several out there already, but none of them really come up to scratch, most
are probably 30 years old.
Craig
Reply to
Craig Douglas
"Craig Douglas" wrote
The Mainline J72s were notorious for failing due to the plastic sleeve which holds each pair of wheels together splitting and allowing the wheels to revolve independently of each other and 'go out of quarter'. The BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0 also frequently suffered from the same problem with roughly the same level of frequency. Many years of experience with these suggests that lack of use, rather than over use, is likely to increase the likelihood of failure from this cause.
As the basic design of the wheelsets for both these locos doesn't appear to have changed significantly from the Mainline days, it's hardly surprising that the near-identical Bachmann examples also suffer from the same problem, albeit not to the same extent - although that may be because they've not been around for quite so long.
Another problem with some of the 4MTs (mainly Bachmann examples in this instance) is that the plastic driving wheel spokes (which are a force fit into the cast metal wheel) have a habit of distorting in shape, and can then catch on the valve gear or coupling rods and cause erratic running.
I think Bachmann are aware that the split chassis design is time-expired, and their plans to retool and rechassis the range of LMS 4-6-0 locos is perhaps a first step in doing away with this design. I hope they follow these plans with a similar retooling of their LNER range including the J72, J39, V1/3, B1 & V2 locos.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
But will Hornby just let Bachmann bring out new versions of the complete set of 4-6-0's (inc rebuilt) without some sort of challenge. I thought they liked to have at least one medium express in their stable. Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote
They've got the Black 5, and besides they currently have their heads tucked neatly in their rectums churning out minority interest Southern Railway items.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Yes, I cant imagine SR locos selling too well after the initial wow! factor has subsided. Now, what we really want is a J6, K1, K2, L1, O1 O2 O4 2-8-0s, D16, B16....need I go on?
Reply to
crazy_horse_12002
true, but the black 5 isnt a medium express passenger except as a standin - ignoring later BR when anything did anything. I'm sure I read somewhere that hornby's philosophy was that they tried to provide a complete range of steam engines types for all of the big 4. If Bachmann bring out the complete range of LMS 4-6-0's within a reasonable time period * will clean out almost everyones loco budget for a couple of years. Hornby cant rely on current Patriot retaining sales unless drop price to toy market. So what will they do ?
Simon *
(oh dear, fat chance on past performance)
Simon
Reply to
simon
Perhaps they could produce a Green LNER A4?
or perhaps a blue one that's not Mallard [Which anyone with any interest in the LNER will already have] ....
I can't imagine that sales of the wartime black model are particularly good, but then it was a hideous choice of prototype.....
WW2 was when it all went Pete Tong for the LNER...
Reply to
Craig Douglas
My current total stands at 5 Duchesses and 4 Princesses but theres room for more of these beautiful models. Incidently its a well kept secret that Stanier and Bullied were in the pub one night and decided to swap designs for a laugh. Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote
You must have an awfully big layout to need so many Pacifics. My modest 20' x 11' (or thereabouts) OO-scale layout isn't big enough to justify locos which would normally haul 10+ coach trains, so I have to make do with 2-6-0 & 4-6-0 passenger locos, plus of course the inevitable 0-6-0 or 2-6-4 tank loco. Freight is a different matter and I've a couple of 2-8-0s and one of the new Bachmann 9Fs but that covers most of my loco roster.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
erm - its 5'*4' - OO. Next to my desk in t'study - where I work. I'm practicing till can annex the loft. Took 18 months to lay the track (4 times). Theres this colliery thats surrounded by a loop that the nearby shed use to give reparied engines a quick run to ensure theyre ok. All manner of stuff comes through - often light engine, but later on its suprising what was used for freight.
The pacifics are for the future layout but require a run now and again. Yes I can happilly sit and watch a duchess going round trainset curves for quite a long time. I am more than happy with my own reality, the 'tot' is happy with a mixture of PO wagons and coaches top and tailed by a 4MT and a rebuilt patriot.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"John Turner" wrote
You must have an awfully big layout to need so many Pacifics.
John.
Simple... Have an engine shed scene like Model Rail keep banging on about ! Seen a few on the exhibition circuit, but they only tend to have 1 x 4-6-2 on the shed... Guess it is not a Sunday they model ! :-)
Reply to
Andy Sollis
"Graham Thurlwell" wrote
It's probably cheaper to buy a new Bachmann J72 than trying to re-chassis the older Mainline version, but if you prefer the other route then I've a feeling that Comet might have done a chassis kit for this loco.
John.
Reply to
John Turner

Site Timeline