Shunting

I have been here before, apologies.
I would really like to get a good slow-running 040T or 060T suitable
for an LNER layout (period not that important right now). I have the
Hornby J83 and it sucks badly; no amount of tinkering seems to improve
it.
I guess the Pug would do, or the rather nice-looking J52, or there's
the Bachmann J72. I don't know how well these run at slow speeds
under DCC. Replacement running gear for the J83 is probably pointless
given the poor level of detail of the model itself.
Is there anything else I should be considering? Experiences of these
models? You sold me the N2 (very good) and 8F (superb), so I have
high hopes :-)
Guy
[posted via Google Groups - email address invalid. See
for contact details]
Reply to
Guy Chapman
"Guy Chapman" wrote
The J83s are poor, would suggest the Hornby J94 or the Bachmann J72. The Hornby L&Y Pug 0-4-0ST is worth considering although not LNER they did tend to work in areas with an LNER pressence such as Goole.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
The J94 looks like a good model, what sort of motor does it have?
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
Hornby Terrier has great slow-running qualities....I have bought 5 over the last 2 years and every one has run beautifully right out of the box. Cheers Gene
Reply to
Gene
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote
Never had to take one apart to find out, but they run nicely.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
The fact that you've not had to take one apart augurs well ;-)
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
Seconded, I've got 4 (if I include 2 Dapol ones) and despite the hammering I've given the shells the "working parts" on all work like a dream.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Hornbys webpage says it has a Type 7 motor
Reply to
Gene
Last year I walked into Mr Turner's emporium on a trip to Hull and asked him the same question. He sold me a Hornby J94 and it has been superb.
Reply to
Ed Callaghan
Is this the same as the J94 (Dapol) that I've got in my attic - I will eventuall get around to building a proper layout, but time... Jim
Reply to
Tux
"Tux" wrote
Basically yes, but Hornby *claim* to have tightened manufacturing tolerances on their ex-Dapol range.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Paint it in North British colours and everyone will think it's a Drummond.
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Parkes
"Ken Parkes" wrote
You don't work for Hornby do you? That's just the sort of trick they would do. :-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Probably more 'accurate' if you painted it in Highland colours and they might think it was a Stroudley :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Ah, but then it would only fit LMS.
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Parkes
Well...if the money was right....:))
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Parkes
If we're thinking about painting an LBSCR loco in a foreign livery, are we really all that worried about what company it's working for :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie