Shunting

I have been here before, apologies.

I would really like to get a good slow-running 040T or 060T suitable for an LNER layout (period not that important right now). I have the Hornby J83 and it sucks badly; no amount of tinkering seems to improve it.

I guess the Pug would do, or the rather nice-looking J52, or there's the Bachmann J72. I don't know how well these run at slow speeds under DCC. Replacement running gear for the J83 is probably pointless given the poor level of detail of the model itself.

Is there anything else I should be considering? Experiences of these models? You sold me the N2 (very good) and 8F (superb), so I have high hopes :-)

Guy [posted via Google Groups - email address invalid. See

for contact details]

Reply to
Guy Chapman

"Guy Chapman" wrote

The J83s are poor, would suggest the Hornby J94 or the Bachmann J72. The Hornby L&Y Pug 0-4-0ST is worth considering although not LNER they did tend to work in areas with an LNER pressence such as Goole.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The J94 looks like a good model, what sort of motor does it have?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Hornby Terrier has great slow-running qualities....I have bought 5 over the last 2 years and every one has run beautifully right out of the box. Cheers Gene

Reply to
Gene

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

Never had to take one apart to find out, but they run nicely.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The fact that you've not had to take one apart augurs well ;-)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Seconded, I've got 4 (if I include 2 Dapol ones) and despite the hammering I've given the shells the "working parts" on all work like a dream.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Reply to
Gene

Last year I walked into Mr Turner's emporium on a trip to Hull and asked him the same question. He sold me a Hornby J94 and it has been superb.

Reply to
Ed Callaghan

Is this the same as the J94 (Dapol) that I've got in my attic - I will eventuall get around to building a proper layout, but time... Jim

Reply to
Tux

"Tux" wrote

Basically yes, but Hornby *claim* to have tightened manufacturing tolerances on their ex-Dapol range.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Paint it in North British colours and everyone will think it's a Drummond.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"Ken Parkes" wrote

You don't work for Hornby do you? That's just the sort of trick they would do. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Probably more 'accurate' if you painted it in Highland colours and they might think it was a Stroudley :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Ah, but then it would only fit LMS.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Well...if the money was right....:))

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

If we're thinking about painting an LBSCR loco in a foreign livery, are we really all that worried about what company it's working for :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie