Shunting

I have a Hornby "smokey joe" and an (anachronistic) Lima class 09 and
a couple of other miscellaneous small locos and they all have the same
fault: they run at express speeds flat out and are hopeless at
shunting pace.
I suppose I have a few options, one is to replace the drivetrain in
one with a much lower geared one; another is to find a proper shunter;
or I could buy a kit. What I need is something which gives good slow
running performance under DCC, and I'm guessing that means a can motor
and a low-ratio gearbox but I am open to any suggestion anyone might
have for a sound slow-running RTR model suitable for a steam / early
diesel LNER layout.
Guy

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote
I guess you've bought from the toy end of the market Guy. They are certainly some excellent low-geared shunting locos out there if you know where to look. Some I'd recommend:-
Bachmann & Hornby 08 diesel shunters Hornby J94 0-6-0ST Bachmann Jinty 0-6-0T Bachmann 8750 & 57xx 0-6-0PT Panniers Dapol/Hornby 14xx 0-4-2T
are the ones which immediately come to mind.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Does the Dapol/Hornby 14xx run better than the Airfix version? That seemed to have an odd arrangement of pick-ups that didn't work well.
Steve
-- Dr Steven Noble Admissions Tutor Department of Mathematical Sciences Brunel University UK
Reply to
Steve Noble
"Steve Noble" wrote
Yes, the Airfix version was a real dog. Dapol revised the pick-ups (credit where it's due) and Hornby appear to have simply remanufactured to Dapol's spec.
Got to say in my experience, the Dapol models tend to be slightly better than the later Hornby version in terms of running qualities, whilst the quality of finish of the loco bodies is much better from Hornby.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"Gene" wrote
They're ok, if a tad noisy.
There were not deliberately omitted from my original list, which just included locos which quickly came to mind.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:54:13 +0100, "John Turner" said in :
Thanks, other comments also duly noted. I think I was suffering from having bought cheaply on eBay (who would sell a good slow-runing loco after all?). On the plus side, I paid next to nothing for most of them and have been able to fettle my Deltic using the motor out of one I bought for a pound :-)
Guy --
"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Site Timeline