Track Cutter

I take it these are the pliars type tool. Are they any good and how
clean is the cut? I would assume that a shearing type action would have
created some squashing in the cut area.
I am currently using a saw or a small cutting disc in a small drill but
I don't like the cutting disc method although in some instances it is
the only tool to use.
Kevin
Reply to
kajr
wrote
They are effectively side-cutting shears. The cut is extremely clean, but does squash the cast-off side of the cut.
Track cutters are infinitely superior to either razor saw or slitting disc, although both have their place for specific jobs.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
I've had three (Xuron ones) over the past 6/7 years and after a while they have all broken one of the cutting jaws!
Reply to
Nick Palette
"Nick Palette" wrote
I've had one break after around five years use, and it was replaced no questions asked. Equally so I use to replace razor saw blades regularly and slitting discs break too.
In this day and age nothing is designed to last indefinitely.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
John Turner said the following on 12/08/2005 13:43:
One thing to note is that they are designed to cut through the height of the rail, not the width, although in practise there isn't a lot of difference.
Reply to
Paul Boyd
That's very true. The last time I decided to get my electric mower repaired, I was gobsmacked to find there was only one lawnmower repair shop within 50 miles of London, and that one is only hanging on until the owner retires.
Apparently, when your blades get blunt you are just supposed to buy a new lawnmower.
Similarly, I just took my VCR into a local shop for adjustment, and the owner laughed. 50 pounds for him to even look at it, and he strongly suggested I just went to Tesco and bought a new one for the same money.
Back to the Xuron track cutter, greatest thing since sliced bread. Mind you, I haven't found a slice of bread to be much good for cutting track.
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
"Paul Boyd" wrote
This makes me laugh. As you say the approved method is to cut through the height of the rail, but only for OO-gauge. It's the opposite for N-scale for some reason.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Why?
R.
Reply to
Richard
On 12/08/2005 16:27, Richard wrote,
Because Xuron say so. Dunno why they say so, though :-)
Reply to
Paul Boyd
In my experience it's much easier to fit the rail joiners if you follow the instructions! Cutting the width leaves a burr on the bottom of the rail that sometimes needs filing off
Nigel
Reply to
Nigel Emery
Something I've long wondered. How does a cutting disc in a drill manage to make a vertical cut in track? Doesn't the body of the drill get in the way and leave the disc spinning an inch or so above the track? Or do you mark the rail then remove it from the sleepers?
Reply to
Ed Callaghan
If I'm cutting "for length" that is, to actually lay track, I cut from the side. If I'm making an insulation gap on previously laid track a slightly of vertical cut is of no importance. No longer use cutters or a saw, disks for everything!
Reply to
Chris Wilson
50 pounds for a VCR?? You can buy a DVD recorder for that over in CanUSA!
Reply to
MartinS
Martin, you cannot imagine how much it cheers me up to know that! We certainly do live in a high cost economy over here, but by way of compensation, we do have multiculturalism, so that's OK.
Just by way of a passing note, when it was proposed to abolish retail price maintenance over here, one of the last ditch defences was that pensioners might get distressed if they bought a television in one store, only to find out that someone else had got it cheaper somewhere else. Yes, it was seriously put forward that the British people would actually prefer higher prices, as long as everyone else was made to suffer. And I think there is more than a grain of truth in that idea.
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
I use a mini-drill with a flexible shaft.
Reply to
MartinS
I submit that on or about Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:43:47 +0100, the person known to the court as "John Turner" made a statement ( in Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:
I must get one - I've been using a Proxxon diamond cutting disc, which is noisy but very clean.
Guy --
"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?