Track Cutter

I take it these are the pliars type tool. Are they any good and how clean is the cut? I would assume that a shearing type action would have
created some squashing in the cut area. I am currently using a saw or a small cutting disc in a small drill but I don't like the cutting disc method although in some instances it is the only tool to use.
Kevin

They are effectively side-cutting shears. The cut is extremely clean, but does squash the cast-off side of the cut.

Track cutters are infinitely superior to either razor saw or slitting disc, although both have their place for specific jobs.
John.
John Turner said the following on 12/08/2005 13:43:

One thing to note is that they are designed to cut through the height of the rail, not the width, although in practise there isn't a lot of difference.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

This makes me laugh. As you say the approved method is to cut through the height of the rail, but only for OO-gauge. It's the opposite for N-scale for some reason.
John.
John Turner wrote:

Why?
R.
On 12/08/2005 16:27, Richard wrote,

Because Xuron say so. Dunno why they say so, though :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

I must get one - I've been using a Proxxon diamond cutting disc, which is noisy but very clean.
Guy -- http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
I've had three (Xuron ones) over the past 6/7 years and after a while they have all broken one of the cutting jaws!

"Nick Palette" wrote

I've had one break after around five years use, and it was replaced no questions asked. Equally so I use to replace razor saw blades regularly and slitting discs break too.
In this day and age nothing is designed to last indefinitely.
John.

That's very true. The last time I decided to get my electric mower repaired, I was gobsmacked to find there was only one lawnmower repair shop within 50 miles of London, and that one is only hanging on until the owner retires.
Apparently, when your blades get blunt you are just supposed to buy a new lawnmower.
Similarly, I just took my VCR into a local shop for adjustment, and the owner laughed. 50 pounds for him to even look at it, and he strongly suggested I just went to Tesco and bought a new one for the same money.
Back to the Xuron track cutter, greatest thing since sliced bread. Mind you, I haven't found a slice of bread to be much good for cutting track.
Cheers, Steve

50 pounds for a VCR?? You can buy a DVD recorder for that over in CanUSA!
--
Martin S.

Martin, you cannot imagine how much it cheers me up to know that! We certainly do live in a high cost economy over here, but by way of compensation, we do have multiculturalism, so that's OK.
Just by way of a passing note, when it was proposed to abolish retail price maintenance over here, one of the last ditch defences was that pensioners might get distressed if they bought a television in one store, only to find out that someone else had got it cheaper somewhere else. Yes, it was seriously put forward that the British people would actually prefer higher prices, as long as everyone else was made to suffer. And I think there is more than a grain of truth in that idea.
Cheers, Steve

Something I've long wondered. How does a cutting disc in a drill manage to make a vertical cut in track? Doesn't the body of the drill get in the way and leave the disc spinning an inch or so above the track? Or do you mark the rail then remove it from the sleepers?

If I'm cutting "for length" that is, to actually lay track, I cut from the side. If I'm making an insulation gap on previously laid track a slightly of vertical cut is of no importance. No longer use cutters or a saw, disks for everything!
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson

I use a mini-drill with a flexible shaft.
--
Martin S.