Wire operated points

Hi,

Can anyone point me to a UK supplier of wire & tube ( and even levers) which can be employed on point operation? It is 30 years since I last bought any and as it is difficult to find a model shop in France it is preferable to find an on-line dealer. I have excellent service from Hattons of Liverpool but it is not in their catalogue.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

In message , Peter Abraham writes

Try Gem:

Jane Sullivan

Peter Abraham sd / msg dtd Sun, 09 Oct

2005 18:39:40 +0200:

Incidentally, this might be an answer to Chris's problem above. I have used brass tube and steel rod to operate a point from a remote motor, although I have also copped out and used the lineside hut method elsewhere :-)

Guy

--

"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Model Signal Engineering

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

Some years ago I used a dirt cheap method - a length of the "spring" used to hang net curtains and soft iron garden wire. The wire was a sliding fit within the 'spring', just enough resistance to move a Peco point blade and hold it place, but with enough 'give' not to need an omega loop. At the operating end, the wire projected from the 'spring' and I made small knobs from dowel. Most points were worked over a distance of two feet, but one was almost five feet. The spring was set into the baseboard surface and held down with staples. This has worked well ever since and cost about 50p on average.

HTH

John

Reply to
jcwoods5017

Peter,

I've sent you an e-mail. I have some sprung steel wire and PTFE tube left over from doing my points the other week, all I'd be looking for would be to cover my costs. If you don't receive the e-mail please drop me a line ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com)if interested.

Regards

Malcolm

Peter Abraham wrote:

Reply to
Malcolm

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He he ... no a tenon saw, chisel and *BIG* hammer mixed liberally with lots of very naughty words solved my problem. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I've tried many and the best is sold by model aircraft shops. It's white plastic tube with nylon "wire", comes in lengths of about a metre, and is silky smooth. Best of all, the inner "wire" is also hollow and GEM's omega wires (with a bit of superglue) are an exact fit for attaching to the point and lever frame or linking two tubes for greater lengths. I first saw them in France so you shouldn't need mail order, just look for model aircraft. My levers are GEM, whitemetal. Bought them in the George E Mellor days. They look pricier now but they're not the most expensive.

Reply to
Ed Callaghan