1/72 Scale Aerial Wire

Any ideas on best "scale" stuff to use for aerial wire? Stretched sprue doesn't look right, human hair is in short supply nowadays, sewing thread looks too big, etc etc

Graeme Cosgrove

How about electrical wire. Two options - either coil winding wire or a core from multi-stranded signal cable (or even mains cable) - all sorts of diameters are available.

A tip - if you take a strand and stretch it, then just before it breaks you will feel it give as it stretches. Takes a bit of practice, but you will find that any section cut from this strand will now be dead straight.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

A local guy here..."discovered" some rubber/elastic material, from which thing shreds could be easily peeled. (think of it like String Cheese...lol). He could get *very* thin threads from it, and they took "super glue" very well. And the best part: its elasticity kept it taut; and made it pretty much "accident proof".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Worthy replies all, but the question of scale comes into it - for 1/72th wires, they'd be almost invisible, 48th not much better. However, I believe that you need something there to represent it, so I use the dark coloured 'invisible' mending thread - coupla bucks for a lifetime supply. It's fairly tough, knots like monofilament fishing line and looks pretty good, even in 72th. Also takes superglues as adhesive. Another option is the lycra thread being sold by one of the Brit modelling houses (Airwaves or some-such) - check Hannant's web site for it. It's stretchy, so it's a lot harder to break, but it's not that cheap to buy.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Graeme,

Aeroclub has lycra thread, which isn't thread at all, just a strand of lycra:

suppose you super glue it in position, then it stetches so there is less chance of breakage. It is about 0.1mm diameter (~.004 inch)

and Aeroclub also sell thin 'fishing line':

measures on my micrometer at 0.12 mm (0.005 inch)

Both products are clear, i have seen lycra in black though.

Seems you live in the UK, so it should be ez to get both to try out.

there is also motor armature wire that is super thin:

is used by model railroaders for lighting, but it is so tiny it could be used for aerials: .0045 inch

Also on same page is 'super flexible' wire and the strands in that are only .0015 inch!

Keith Walker

Reply to
news.verizon.net

I've used 1 lb. monofiliment fishing line for years, especially for extensive rigging. Latest builds were a Heller MS.230 and a Roden PKZ.2. The fact that the fishing line is clear does makes a nice impression. As you stated, the rigging is almost invisible in 1/72 scale.

Tom

news.veriz> Graeme,

Reply to
maiesm72

Some speaker cable has strands of 0.06mm. That equivalent to

4.32mm for 72nd 2.88mm for 48th

I doubt that actual aerial cables were thinner than that.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

I use lycra thread, bought from a sewing shop. It is very fine (of the order of 10 thou) and very stretchy, so always stays tight. Superglue sticks it. Otherwise, several gauges of fine wire can be got from craft shops, intended for jewellry making. Monofilament fishing line works well, but like wire can be difficult to stick. The stretch of the lycra makes it almost ideal - if it only came in different diameters it would be perfect!

Reply to
Alan Dicey