Basic question about couplers

You'd think the answer to such a simple question would be readily available, but dang if we can find it:
We want to buy an Atlas-O diesel engine (Model# 1112-3).
The description for this engine says "Kadee-compatible couplers". All of our rolling stock is Lionel and MTH. Will this engine work with our freight cars without having to change any couplers?

According to the Atlas 2004 catalog, model #1112-3 is a 3-rail model of an Espee low-nose GP-35 road #6531. The model is also offered in 2-rail as model #2112-3. The text in the catalog lists "Additional 3-rail features: ... Die-cast couplers simulated trainline details ..." and "Additional 2-rail features: ... Kadee compatible scale couplers ..." I think the description you are reading must only apply to the 2-rail version, and that the 3-rail model will have a die-cast coupler compatible with Lionel and MTH. Geezer