Could I model that?

Does anyone else out there ever find themselves looking at houses, trees, roadsides, or everyday scenes & wondering 'could I model that on my layout'? I know I do all the time & my wife says that I have drawn a line between a hobby & a mental illness.. but I love it & she knows it & respects my strangeness. I'm willing to bet that I'm not alone on this topic..:) Also I find myself looking at others peoples layouts often on the net & thinking 'could I have that scene on my layout'?

Reply to
Snowy

All the time, even though my layout will be set in the 1940-55 time frame.

Billboards, cars, and houses will be different, but paint still weathers the same, power line arrangements haven't changed that much, and cars rusted faster back then. Aside from that, stuff today is perfectly applicable back then, within limits of course.

To be an excellent modeler all you have to do is imitate what's around you. A camera helps, but a discerning eye is also good.

As for ripping off scenes from someone else's layout, that to me seems like plagiarism. I can maybe take the scene and put my own twist on it, but to imitate completely would be unethical. Examples that come readily to mind are Jason Davies' naugahide factory and Luke Ness Muenster cheese trucks. I might have a truck or two, but to build a naugahide factory would be too imitative. (for those who haven't seen the scenes, naugas are fictional creatures that look like dinosaurs, and the source of Naugahide).

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Snowy wrote: Does anyone else out there ever find themselves looking at houses, trees, roadsides, or everyday scenes & wondering 'could I model that on my layout'? I know I do all the time & my wife says that I have drawn a line between a hobby & a mental illness.. but I love it & she knows it & respects my strangeness. I'm willing to bet that I'm not alone on this topic..:)

--------------------------------------------------- The scenes on my railroad are memories of some of the good times in my life.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

That wasnt quite how I meant it to be. Never mind, I know what I meant :)

Reply to
Snowy

There we go, thats exactly what I meant the whole time...

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Reply to
Snowy

I've always thought about doing a scene with that big rubber shark from the GI Joe diver set [remember those?] attacking a carfloat full of cars. The shark would be painted in UP colors and the float would be full of Up victims.

Eric

Jay Cun As for ripping off scenes from someone else's layout, that to me seems like plagiarism. I can maybe take the scene and put my own twist on it, but to imitate completely would be unethical. Examples that come readily to mind are Jason Davies' naugahide factory and Luke Ness Muenster cheese trucks. I might have a truck or two, but to build a naugahide factory would be too imitative. (for those who haven't seen the scenes, naugas are fictional creatures that look like dinosaurs, and the source of Naugahide).

Reply to
Eric

I can top that. My wife points out stuff for me too... 8-)

Reply to
Andrew H

When I was painting a backdrop, I'd check out clouds as I drove down the interstate. My wife pointed out that she'd prefer me watching the road :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

"OK, you drive." Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington