DCC Block Detection

Nice to be able to detect small voltages. One thing that the site doesn't mention is what is used to detect the current going through the detector. I will note that the use of Schottkey diodes will drop the voltage across the detector and also decrease the current needed to get enough voltage to trip the detector. Your detector, if, as you say, is just running a wire through a hole, is probably a current detector (one turn transformer in correct terms) will be a lot more sensitive to DCC power as it will be looking at the current that is developed by having to charge the capacitance of the track. DCC is using a high frequency AC voltage to send the signals to the locos so you have to deal with the capacitor problem! The detector (of which there are two on that design you mention, probably for ease of wiring them at the place where the modules are placed) is still wired the same as any Twin-T design and the same as Puckdropper's detectors. He's got something that will work but, if his detectors detect that little of a voltage, the current needed is quite low and he could be having problems with leaky ballast on his track. I basically doubt that because that would cause the next block to detect the train at any point along the previous block. I work in electronics so I understand what is going on!

-- Bob May

Bob May

"Bob May" wrote in news:WoSdnUgyCMasxXfUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@o1.com:

I wish I could tell you more about what the detector is doing itself. All I've bothered to look at is there's a couple diodes and a LM324 IC (I'm fairly certain it's a LM324). Sure sounds like the Twin-T style as described here.

I've found a schematic for a detector that uses a coil and wire loop as PV described above. It doesn't look like it'd be more than about $10 each to build (probably around $5 in quantity), and senses down to a few mA.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

pv+ snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (PV) wrote in news:youdnQMIXuUCuHfUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Well, from the looks of it their website has been neglected since 2007. IMO, it would be worth half a day's work to update it and finish the electronics page descriptions. Uploading manuals would be great too.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yep, you've got the standard Twin-D (d for diode version of the Twin-T detector) design. Two of the op-amps in the chip (the LM324 which is a quad op-amp - 4 amps in one package) are used to detect in either direction the voltage across the diodes, one to combine the signal and the 4th to output the signal. When the current thhourgh the diodes gets high enough to produce some voltage, the circuit sees it and puts out a signal. I'd have to actually play with the particular design to find out exactly what is going on but the first thing is to verify exactly where the module will trip on the track. The thing that is really strange is that the engine approaching the end of the block trips the next signal and I can't really think of anything that would cause that unless the engine rolls onto a last part of the track which is electrically isolated from the rest and is fed power directly from the module and the DCC HF signal is feeding across the wires going up to the track.

-- Bob May

Bob May

"Bob May" wrote in news:Z-Kdnd4APNGHVHbUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@o1.com:

It's time to do some snooping under the layout. I'm supposed to be documenting the layout electrical system anyway...

The two detectors are wired in parallel with other feeders (which now I know not to do), so perhaps when the locomotive gets close enough to draw most of its current through the detected circuit there's enough of a draw that the other detector sees it. Without actually measuring it, though, this is just a guess.

Thanks for all the help,

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I may have to give that a try someday. It's a nice circuit that I could easily think of other uses for. Thanks for the link.

The team digital ones go for $17-18 each depending on where you buy them. If sensitivity is an issue, there's a spot on the board where you can wire in a resistor to lower it. I haven't had to do that though. *

Reply to
PV