Decals using computer question - arising from UP's new direction

Thanks for the link!
It's too bad they don't offer a demo... :-(
--
Frank Eva
Digital Railroader
wrote:

can
and
market.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/31/03 10:34 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@bright.net, "Dan

They are indeed. Anyone interested may join the ALPS group at Yahoo!:
Brian Ehni

Add pictures here
βœ–
I was wondering if this printer from Olympus would work in place of the Alps as it too is a Dye-sublimation print process also. Here is a link to their webpage about it: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product.asp?more_info_lobby=1&p &bc#&product“5 Thanks Rick Fink
Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
To me, the HUGE plus of the ALPS is its ability to print white... until someone comes up with that, the rest will be just so-so...
dlm
wrote:

them
ago;
prints
silver
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's my problem with my Canon Photo printer - no white - what a disappointment. It's too bad the ALPS is no longer sold here!
--
Frank Eva
Digital Railroader

The January 2004 issue of MR has an article about N scale bridge modeling that discusses how to print your own decals - and references earlier articles that go into greater detail.
The results looked pretty nice - some of the best N-scale modeling I've seen.
As for undecorated cars, most trains that I see have reporting marks only. No fancy logos. I know a few guys who *must* have a herald on every single car - but those are the type of people who run an entire train with nothing but Chessie cars or some other silliness. Most trains I see have a variety of roadnames from all over North America - including those without logos.
As for the UP problem, you can do whatever you want with their logo in your own home. If you try to sell it, you have to pay royalties, which seems fair to me.
Add pictures here
βœ–

can
I did some checking and found that they have special online content related to this article. You can find it here:
Custom Decals Tips for creating your own decals as seen in the January 2004 issue of MR by John Socha-Leialoha http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/004/723uxldp.asp
Add pictures here
βœ–
Amazing ..... thanks and timely too.
As I model in 1:1 scale I usually use drafting tools to create stencils that I need, then follow thru with the old hand paint brush. I've found that tractor implement paints stand up best in the sunshine especially with a UV Clearcoat. In HO I'm not active although years ago I was and used Champ decals. Around Christmas every year I get the yearning to set up a couple ATSF old Atlas O gauge around the tree for the neighbor kids and visit the local hobby store to order some cars (AGPX string of CH's this year in HO) and usually pick up the Dec and Jan Model Railroader. For some reason I didn't this year ... now a priority in the next few days.
The logos and markings on RR cars used to be taken care of with more care than the last 10 years or so. Some of the remarking jobs today are really ratty so no matter how good or bad you might be at creating your own decals you can find a prototypical match in the real world now a days.
My point would be on the UP issue ... they really have better things to worry about and get fixed than the model RR logo issue. The fact of their investment of time and energy into this rather than the railroading problems is unsettling.
Dave Johnson Some days "Quick Service" isn't so quick.

related
Add pictures here
βœ–

I can name one...a Gunderson stack car with the CSXT marks and number (620071?) applied with a spray can, that I dealt with the other day at work.
Dieter Zakas Aerosol, NJ
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave, if you are looking for RR Model specific software, I found a link over at InternetTrains.com http://www.internettrains.com/evandesigns.html Evan Designs have a couple of programs.
Add pictures here
βœ–
over

I have used Evan Designs Software Depot, and there is a serious bug in the text application. It would make it quite impossible to use the program for printing car data. ED is aware of the problem and will hopefully have it corrected in the next update.
--
Frank Eva
Digital Railroader