EZ Tender Truck Pickups

Thanks, Bruce!
Just what I was looking for to equip my cabooses (cabeese?) with a function-only decoder and a read-end light.
Cheers,
Colin
Reply to
Colin 't Hart
I've been using contact shoes for my locos for at least 40 years. If you're worried or have problems with dirt on your track stopping locos, put some contact shoes on your locos and the problems will go away. The railroad that I ran on was usually so dirty that a loco without contact shoes on it would often have problems with electrical contact before getting out of the yard (maybe 30' of travel) while locos with shoes would not only be able to run the railroad, but do so well enough that rear end helpers could be used to get trains over the hill without stretching the train around the curves from contact failure. Unlike the article, my contact shoes rub directly on the railhead instead of on the backside of the wheels (tread rubbers are another variation of that design which will tend to wipe the tread clean of dirt which would be better) and thus, the wheels are not needed for electrical contact. I make the contact shoes from some spring phosphor bronze in an L shape with the long vertical providing the spring while the short base of the L holding a replacable shoe that is bent up at each end to allow the shoe to ride up rather than trip over a high rail joint. Shoes are typically about 1/4" long and are soldered to the spring part. The spring part is either soldered (on brass locos) or screwed (typically two 00-90 screws) to the bottom of the loco with a wire to the electrical system of the loco in the case of plastic locos. The springs take about 1/4 oz. of weight off of the loco's drivers and this can be compensated for with some more weight in the loco. The pulling power of the loco is reduced by a car or so and that can also be compensated with more additional weight. The use of PCB material glued to the bottom of a tender truck will allow both of the rails to be contacted on a single truck which will balance the lift and drag from the shoes if so desired. If you haven't used contact shoes before, you won't believe how much more reliable they make the running of the locos on a layout. In addition, if the shoes do get dirty, it is a simple job of wiping the shoe at the trackside rather than taking the loco to the workbench and running it to get the wheels clean. I also find that since the wheels aren't picking up electric power, they end up getting some dirt embedded in the tread which improves the traction a whole lot. One thing tho is that you will find all of the bad railjoints and high points with these shoes which, when you find and fix them all, will allow better operation of your layout as you will have fixed most of the causes of sudden derailements at those locations.
Bob May

Site Timeline