EZ/Tru/Uni-Track

Much has changed since I last built a layout, what with DCC and all!

What's the buzz on the new track systems with the built-in roadbed? I viewed the WGH/Michael Gross DVD that came bound in a recent magazine and they used such a track. The 3rd edition of "The Model Railroad Handbook" also touts it.

Last time around I used the tar-like roll material with excellent results. (Just by coincidence, I found out it is manufactured by one of our sister companies here in Evansville.) I really liked that. It sticks to the plywood with no nails or glue, Track sticks to it the same way, as does the ballast material. But it is hard to find. Distributor won't drop ship from the factory and the stuff is heavy, making shipping costs unattractive to small retailers.

And if the new plastic roadbed/track isn't completely sneered at, which brand is preferred? There are at least four competing brands and other than the Atlas having the flexibility of removing the plastic roadbed and using conventional materials later, I don't see many significant differences.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

You didn't specify scale. I'm using Kato N UniTrack and am very pleased with it, both its performance and appearance. They also make HO, but not in as wide an assortment of sizes.

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

"Bill McCutcheon" wrote in news:qjAJd.5343$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I'm interested in HO. In Schleicher's 'Handbook', he seems to prefer the Bachmann EZ-Track for its mechanical stability. I've seen some of that in a local hobby shop. I like the fact that they have r-t-r crossover turnouts and that the switch machines are concealed in the roadbed.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Kato is also very reliable. Their UniJoiners, at least in N scale, give good mechanical and electrical connections and they also have hidden switch machines. If you want to consider them, check out:

I haven't used Bachmann, so can't offer any direct comparisons.

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon