Fiber optics

I'm making Christmas decorations and plan to use fiber optics and LEDs running on batteries. Does anyone have a good source for plastic optical fiber (for lightong?). The stuff I've been able to find is in large quantities (200-500 meters) and pretty expensive. I just want 30-50 meters.

Thanks

Reply to
Tapper

What has your local craft shop got? They do things like that.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

If you can't find a source for fiber optics, find the cheapest fiber optic Christmas tree you can, a three or four foot tall one, and just cut them off the tree. You should be able to get at least three foot pieces.

Just a thought. Robert

Reply to
Robert "rpon"

tall one, and just cut them off< Usually a day or two after Christmas is the best time to do this!

Reply to
Jon Miller

Tapper wrote: I'm making Christmas decorations and plan to use fiber optics and LEDs running on batteries. Does anyone have a good source for plastic optical fiber (for lightong?). The stuff I've been able to find is in large quantities (200-500 meters) and pretty expensive. I just want 30-50 meters.

Fiber Optic Products, Inc.:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

I recently bought a cheap lamp that has strands of fibre optic strands coming out of the top. When at rest, the form a mushroom shape. The lamp is powered by two AA batteries. I bought it at a local "Dollar Plus" store for $2.00; all I wanted was the fibre optic strands. Cheap!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:28:08 -0500, "Robert \"rpon\"" shared this with the world:

Or check out the thrift stores for the cheezy old fiber optic lamps. (something like this:

)

I grabbed one for about a dollar.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Ashton

speaking of fiber optics, does anyone know where I can get .050" dia fiber optic material?

thanks

Reply to
David R. Campbell

KTØT

The source I use:

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent