Genesis Challenger/MRC Sound Decoder

When I read that MRC was responsible for the decoder in the Genesis Challenger, I cringed - MRC's own cheapie sound decoders have generally received unfavorable reviews. So, I was curious to know if they used a stock MRC sound decoder, or if MRC made improvements for Athearn?

Reply to
DCC Models

According the the Athearn manual with the Challenger, the decoder was made especially for Athearn.

in article Kojrd.76604$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com, DCC Models at snipped-for-privacy@unpublished.com wrote on 12/1/04 5:10 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Solutions Ulm). The logivc goes that the Challenger you have in your hot littles is the announced (but never delivered) Roco Challenger, and as its normal decoder supplier (Lenz) hasn't as yet done sound - although interestingly, their newest decoder offers a SUSI interface for sound, that's another story - then they turned to ESU.

Our group here has several ESU-equipped loco's, they are impressive (except for the whistle). ESU decoders come equipped with speaker and baffle, their chuff is as good as I've heard, and they are easily installed. One of our members put one in a Bachmann K4, and again, apart from that woeful whistle, it is quite an effective combo. Incidentally, I understand the latest version does make the whistle playable, but we're still waiting for one to try out.

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

(Electronic Solutions Ulm).< I believe it's been flatly stated that the decoder is MRC but darned if I can remember all the details. I very much doubt it's the Roco engine with ESU decoders simply because of the "new" $200+ price.

Reply to
Jon Miller

John

You're right, we finally got hold of one to look at, its clearly an MRC. And sounds crappy. A smear on what is an otherwise fine model. Oh well, mark it "Upgrade With Tsunami". Apologies to those fine folk at ESU who feel I may have slighted their decoders.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

That's what I was afraid of - MRC's sound decoders have been panned by the press, and they have little experience in the field. It's no wonder Athearn could afford such a sharp reduction in prices!!!

Reply to
DCC Models