Regarding: MRC AD350 decoder

A month ago I posted a message asking if anyone had used the new MRC AD350 decoder. I didn't get a reply but purchased two anyway and wanted to give my feedback for others who may in the future consider this decoder.

Again, I purchased two. The packaging on one of them was open, but the clerk said that it was just to show another customer the instructions and he guaranteed it had not been used. Needless to say this one didn't work.

The other one worked, however a few points:

- The pins on the NMRA 8-pin plug are a little too long; about 25% longer than on NCE for example. This caused problems getting the shell back on my loco, so I trimmed the pins a little.

- In general the decoder worked well, but it made the loco run too noisy. In the end I installed it in one of my third rate locos that sits on the shelf most of the time.

- Lastly, the decoder can handle 128 speed steps, but kept defaulting to 28 speed steps the first time it was operated during a session.

I've had good luck with NCE decoders and will stick with these from now on out.

Tony

Hi > >Does anyone have any experience with the MRC AD350 decoder? > >Also, I am new to the hobby and this will be the first time trying to >install one of these into a loco. The decoder has a NMRA 8-pin plug, >and I want to install it in proto2K and atlas locos ( both are brand >new) . Will this be plug-n-play, or will I need to do some

soldering.

>On the other hand, should I just choose another decoder. I will be >using it with the Atlas DCC system. > >Thanks, >Tony
Reply to
Tony