anyone tried these online retailers?

I'm interested in knowing if you found them reputable or not

ga

I have ordered twice from HobbyCircle - used the phone each time to verify they have the product in stock. Service/delivery was good. Several folks in the group have ordered 'on-line' and had trouble with back ordered stuff. I would call them based on comments from the group.... I have not used the others listed. I have used the following and got good prices/great service:

M B Klein(phone, on-line, & eBay) Toy Train Heaven(phone or eBay) Caboose Hobbies(phone & on-line)

Jim Bernier

ga wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

I have ordered from both those companies in the past. Relatively easy transaction, no problems, items arrived as promised. Although one time I ordered a passenger car from internettrains.com that their website said was "available," however, it later turned out the car was out of production and not available anymore. They did keep me informed about the status of the order, and I received an e-mail apologizing for not being able to find it.

Ah, funny to see that place here. I have not ordered from Leisure Time online, however I do frequent their actual store (I live about 5 minutes away from it). Their store is about 60% pet stuff, 40% hobby stuff, and most of the employees there know more about pets. However, the owner seems like a decent guy and he's always offering to order anything you want if they don't have it in stock. They have one aisle of model railroad equipment and a glass case of locomotives (not a whole lot), but their counter has most railroad catalogs for custom orders.

They also have two aisles of plastic models (with a decent selection for this size town), one of paints and hobby supplies, and one of beer and wine making equipment. The cage of live crickets is up front next to the checkout counter. They're always friendly and ready to help in the store, but in all honesty I don't buy as much there as I used to as their retail prices are a little more than other places. Don't know how that translates to their mail order prices.

-Eric

Reply to
skyliner

Thanks,

I'll check them out.

Reply to
ga

leisure-time's prices are the best around. the thing scaring me off with them is their very limiited web site. basically, you have to know the manufacturers part number to order it.

Reply to
ga

I have ordered twice from this company now and had no problems. Both orders shipped the same day, arrived well packed and in good shape via FedEx ground (other shipping options are available - I used "most economical", which allows them to choose the method).

Prices don't always seem the best (not too bad though) but given my experiences I would order from them again. Too many times I've ordered from outfits offering rock-bottom prices that just stuff the items in an old box that's falling apart without so much as a styrofoam peanut to protect it. If they ever ship at all, that is.

Reply to
Jeff Williams

Fred, if you are in Canada, there is a good one Canada Express Line email snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca Or there is George's Trains in Toronto (largest shop in Canada)

or The Credit Valley Railway Company (no connection with me, just we both like the original RR in that area)

All three do mail order and all three are reputable.

Reply to
wannand

Of the eight listed above, I have ordered from Hobby Circle a few times. A couple of E-Bay auctions and a number of small items from their web page. Generally had a satisfactory experience until the last time. Before Thanksgiving I placed an order for four items and received two of the four and an entirely different third item (multiple pack of P2K kits). The error clearly was a simple packer's mistake in shipping, and what they sent me was worth more (retail) than what I had ordered and been charged for.

I emailed and then with no answer, I telephoned. The phone service was less than polite (hey, I'm FROM Brooklyn and I know from surley) and offered no satisfaction even after I got through to them that they were on the short end of this stick. I finally got a promise to send me a UPS ticket to return the wrong merchandize and upon receipt they would send the proper remaining order.

It has been two months and nothing. Even though they are the loosers and I realise that in scale of operations it likely is not worth their time to have me ship the wrong merchandize back, I believe that I shall confine my discretionary purchases to other retailers, both B&M and internet. The name Flying Scotsman Hobbies comes quickly to mind as a reliable and courteous internet retailer. (Usual disclaimer, I have no interest in any of these business other than as a customer.)

Richard Albuquerque

Reply to
Richard Sullivan