MTH sound system

Has anyone heard about the supposed MTH DCC sound unit. It was supposed to be released at a train show last weekend but I've heard nothing on any of the groups.

Reply to
Jon Miller

As far as I know, MTH has not released a production version for yet, rather a demo of their DCS system - originally developed for O gauge - that has been miniaturized to fit in smaller spaces and is compatible with DCC.

Reply to
Corelane

has been miniaturized to fit in smaller spaces and is compatible with DCC.<

Which is sorta of what I expected but how is their DCS system _compatible_ with DCC? Also that's not what the MR data said, they were supposed to release (or be near releasing) a DCC decoder.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Dunno the particulars but guessing it understands DCC signal protocols.

Reply to
Corelane

From what I've read, the DCS electronics being made for the HO Scale has a place for installing a DCC decoder. i.e. You could run the DCS equipped Loco with your DCC system, albeit limited to what the DCC can do. This would allow those not wishing to purchase the DCS system the ability to operate the Protosound 2.0 engines with their DCC system.

Again, this is just how I understood it to be.

Reply to
Rod March

place for installing a DCC decoder.< If MTH thinks they are going to make an sound HO DCS decoder that allows you to plug in an additional DCC decoder they might as well forget it. None of the DCC group will buy it _without_ a DCC sound decoder. If they intend to sell to the DC group and then think they are going to sell DCS controls IMHO the sales will be _very slim_. Operating with just DC I can understand but Why would anyone purchase DCS command stations when DCC is available and has a very large market. Based on pricing and marketing approach they have no idea what they are doing!

what the DCC can do< From what I've read on the MTH site (about DCS) I believe that it would be limited to what DCS can do as it appears DCC is much more versatile, maybe robust is a better word. Anyway it's impossible to determine what a MTH decoder will do without MTH detailing it's specifications. So far I have seen nothing official from MTH other than an MR comment that they are thinking of making a DCC decoder!

Reply to
Jon Miller

Jon, What do you think about the Athearn DC wireless remote system shipping with the new HO Challengers that Bob May mentioned? How does that fit in with the scheme of things? It sounds interesting enough to me to hold off on DCC for another six months or so to see what develops. I like the idea of being able to keep DC and having a few locomotives with sound and with wireless power and sound control. Bruce

allows

would

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

system --sic--Challengers --sic-- a few locomotives with sound and with wireless power and sound control.<

Bruce, Guesses on this are all over the place. Another rumor I have heard is that MRC is developing the Athearn system, please Lord say it isn't so. You get what you pay for so if Athearn is going to charge $600 and put in a $40 MRC decoder they better have a large bench area for repair. I have heard very little good and a lot of bad about MRC sound decoders (and that goes for the DCC systems also). Current reports are that at least most of the current versions _work_, well sort of. With modern production here's the good and the bad. Advance order and maybe get something good or maybe trash. Wait and get/don't get your engine on the second run and you will probably be much happier. In the case of Athearn I sure there will always be a second run. It's my understanding that the QSI sound units do well on DC and in fact most of BLI sales are to DC layouts. Remember that the QSI decoder is a NMRA DCC decoder that will run/work with DC. IMHO doing it the other way round just won't work very well.

Reply to
Jon Miller