Gluing track to acrylic display unit

I purchased a Full View Display unit, and would like to glue down some flex track on each shelf. What would be the best type of glue - something that would not attack the acrylic?

Reply to
Frank Eva

=>I purchased a Full View Display unit, and would like to glue down some flex =>track on each shelf. What would be the best type of glue - something that =>would not attack the acrylic? =>

=>

Try latex contact cement, available at builders supply stores. On a small pice of acrylic first, of course. :-) This is water soluble cement, so it should have no effect on the acrylic.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Reply to
Frank Eva

Agreed on the latex. As an aside, I once glued some very expensive (custom ground) optical lenses to ABS using cyanoacrylate. Well, turns out the CA cures by pulling moisture from the air. Unfortunately, it also pulls moisture from acrylic, and that can create stress cracks in the most common types of acrylic. It also, if not given a reasonable amount of air circulation, can put a nice haze on your custom ground lenses.

Reply to
Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Good Morning All,

I have not followed this thread entirely, so I hope I am not putting out duplicate information. There is a website called "This to That" www.thistothat. It gives advice on adhesives to use for particular situations.

Bob

Reply to
EBTBOB

I once put a display layout (actually an O Scale train running inside a plastic tube) in a Restaurant. We glued the track down to the acrylic base with "Weldon-3". It a commercial Acrylic to plastic liquid cement. When the stuff dried the track was there. FOREVER.

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

As others have suggested, latex based contact cement should be the way to go. However, the only latex contact cements I have experience with have been either blue or green in color and they will dry/set with a distinct hint of the respective color. If the track will be ballasted, this will not be a problem. If the track will not be ballasted, then I suggest that the contact cement be lightly dabbed on the undersides of the ties then carefully placed on the acrylic surface. If anyone here knows of a latex contact cement that dries PERFECTLY clear, please post the brand name.

Tx,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Z.