gm 600

Has any one manufactured an HO model of the GM 600 Switcher? If yes, when was it produced?

Reply to
frankrosenbaum4

Do you mean GM's Electromotive Division (EMD) switchers rated at 600hp?

SC (1935-1939) SW (1936-1939) SW1 (1939-1953) SW600 (1954-1962)

Varney made an SW1. The SW600 looked very much like later switchers, so any current SW model could be a stand-in, or a basis for redetailing to match a given locomotive. The major visible differences were in the cab, exhaust stacks, and lights.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

The switcher is a turret cab, semi streamlined/styleized. If you want, I can send you a picture of it in an email. I presume that kirkwood40.blogsdpot.ca is your address.

Reply to
frankrosenbaum4

No, it's my blog.

Post it on alt.binaries.pictures.rail

Reply to
Wolf K

about 3/4 of the way down the page. They were 800 hp export units, but look very American.

Small diesel-hydraulic units were tried by GMD but, they were unable to develop a market for them. The biggest were two 800 HP units (A1811 9/1959, A1812 10/1959) which were tested for some weeks on the CPR Galt Sub. between Lambton and Woodstock on local freight trains 73 and 74.

Reply to
frankrosenbaum4

I get 404 Not Found

Reply to
Wolf K

Per 2nd Diesel Spotter's Guide (Pinkepank, 1973), these were GMDH-1, two with 600hp, and two with 800hp.

AFAIK, no HO models of these locomotives have ever been produced.

Reply to
Wolf K

Op 13-03-2016 om 04:24 schreef Wolf K:

?

Reply to
Erik Baas

Found it.

I see where OP ended the URL with .htmb. That "b" messed it up. :-)

Reply to
Wolf K

Sorry, I just copied the web site from the website bar. Thanks all for the information. I wonder if I could get BLI interested in making it.

Reply to
frankrosenbaum4

:-)

Not likely. Cost structure of introducing a new model is prohibitive without a large pre-order market. Suppose 1,000 pre-orders, and if that's the actual market, I estimate the item would cost a minimum of $1,000 or more.

Have a good day,

Reply to
Wolf K

That poofing noise was my bubble bursting. Oh well . . . .

Reply to
frankrosenbaum4