Hall Effect sensor use

I posted this (or at least tried to) from my Earthlink account and it looks like something stopped working. Oh well.

Anyway, I see that photo sensors and infra-red sensors are used a lot in train position sensore but I don't see much with Hall Effect sensors. Hall Effect sensors seem like they would be more efficient and reliable. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Lawson

Yes, like reed switches they only reliably sense rolling stock fitted with underframe magnets.

There are two types of sensing;

- the train reaching a specific point of it's route.

- a train, or part train sitting within a block. The second situation is more useful for railway block working, the first for automation which is not much used by modellers.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter