HOscenes and buildings

I'm really not trying to be cheesy here, but I'd like to put a "wrong part of town" section up. I'm looking for the Massage Parlor, House of Ill Repute, etc. with the requisite 'people' milling about. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Lawson

Look no further.

nightbearpink

Downtown Deco for the buildings and Preiser for the figures. You may have to make the signage yourself, easy to do with a computer.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

Since I had fun being a chops-buster on the other DowntownDeco thread (and I admit I beat the strip club thing to death - sorry), let me interject that, in modern day America, outside of certain areas of Nevada, brothels look like...any other non-descript business or home (that's always what you see in the pictures when the newspapers write up stories about big prostitution raids). Because, quite frankly, the 'managers' and 'staff' don't want to call attention to such a business, for obvious reasons - although the ones I've seen in the newspapers/on TV sometimes tend to have tighter security (cameras, steel doors, more fencing, window bars) than their neighbors, although this clearly depends on the neighborhood.

Heh, even better, put in a beat, run-down motel advertising hourly rates...there's a modern symbol of 'the bad part of town' without modeling an overt brothel...

Reply to
Sir Ray

"Sir Ray" wrote in news:1162176779.856926.177260 @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Don't forget the strip clubs that adretise "Girls, Girls, Girls. Shows Hourly"

Reply to
Gordon

Best sign of the old Times Square (which I saw often when driving to the Lincoln Tunnel): "Live Young Girls Working Their Way Through College"

OK, enough sex biz for now, before I get blamed for putting those nude women images on the e-bay "Model Trains" galleries...

Reply to
Sir Ray

There was a place near LA, Century & Artesia (?), "Nude Nudes" I never did understand the name. Nudes are nude, it seemed redundant?

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Faller has reintroduced their "Victorian House" as a "night club" (#130440, "Lila Eule") complete with pink & grey paint scheme, red lights and some girls & patrons. There are also some figure sets that are called "Sexy Scenes" I think. They depict what you might expect in a sexy scene.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Excellent. Just what I wanted... Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Lawson

Don't forget, the seedy, wrong-side-of-the-tracks, skid row part of town wasn't built for that purpose. It was a respectable neighborhood that suffered "urban flight" for any number of reasons. The point is that almost any urban building kits are suitable for your purpose - it's all in how you weather them and how you detail them. To that end, I also strongly recommend that you look at the products of Design Preservation, and view them through the opposite of rose colored glasses. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

And right next door you need an adult book store, with a sign advertising video booths for $.25. Adjust price according to your era.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Rick Jones spake thus:

Video? How about 8mm loops?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Guess that would depend on your era as well...

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Are you looking for buildings and such that look like they are a bit run down or something ?, a company by the name of Downtown Deco had recently posted pics of new products that might fill in your idea.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Gilchrist

Heh, I think nightbear posted the downtown deco link in the second post

- must work for Downtown Deco.

Here's something for the OP, if he's modeling the 1960s through 1980s - during that period (and even today in some instances), nightclubs, dance-clubs (real dance clubs, not strip clubs), and rock/punk clubs were often located in the 'seedy' sections (and for every Studio 54 in Midtown, there was a CBGBs on the Bowery). Often gaudy painted inside and out (especially in the 1970s and 1980s) - pink, purple, red, orange

- heck, rainbow stripes; front worn and weathered, ground floor windows bricked in; and usually lots of posters of upcoming acts on the front (and on every lightpost and wooden hoarding up and down the block). Funky lighting too - you can make use of those excess Christmas tree bulbs! Clubs can be in any type of brick/masonary buildings, from former theatres (if they had not been snatched up by a storefront church first), to stores (brick in those big display windows and paint them black or purple), to former churches (yes, yes, the Limelight, which became Avalon), to brownstones (several adjacent ones put together), to..well, whatever. Hmm - a block consisting of: a rock club painted purple and blue, plastered with posters of the upcoming acts (and sidewalks littered with little promotional cards); next door a beat browstone with a Pizza/Takeout on the ground floor (open to 4:00AM on weekends for club-goers); next another beat-up browstone, this ground floor store is 'modernized' in corrugated alumimium, steel door, and small blacken windows with grates/bars over them (hint: this is the brothel the OP wanted); next a Bodega with colorful red/yellow awning; and finally a storefront church, usually some Evanglistic Fundamental congregation split from a larger group due to differences of opinion between Pastors

- a name like 'Tabernacle of the Resurrection of Christ' will do (or, equally workable, 'Iglesia Primero de Cristo') Don't forget the street litter, overflowing corner trash baskets, weeds growing in the sidewalk cracks, and rags and cardboard left by the homeless, and you have an excellent Koch-era seedy East Village scene...

Reply to
Sir Ray