Int'l Hobby Expo

Well, I'm here in Chicago this weekend, and will probably go see the show on Sunday. Went last year, had a good time. Saw a lot of neat stuff. This year, they're allowing sales. Which is bad news as the stuff is probably at retail, and I expect impulse purchases will be many (hopefully, not by me!)....

Actually here for the model intermodal gathering also, and some railfanning on Saturday, which pushes the show visit to Sunday...

:D

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

You might be dissappointed. This was the smallest show in many years. The new HobbyVision show in Las Vegas next month is clearly having a negative impact.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

I just got back from the show. Compared to two years ago, it was pathetic. Looking forward to Trainfest in Milwaukee, it is a far better show, and there were many manufacturers there last year. regards, Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Zeman

I wasn't impressed.

If I'd had to drive more than a few hours to get there, or had to spend long dollar to fly, I'd've been rather angry. At least it was obvious beforehand from the web site that the number of model railroad manufacturers was going to be small.

I saw what I wanted to see, made the four visits I wanted to (Walthers, Digitrax, Red Caboose and Life-Like) and was out of there in a little more than an hour.

I'm curious as to how well the Las Vegas show will do, since LV is a town that most people have little option but to fly into... I know that /that/ alone would prevent my attending. But then again, I'm not particularly part of the target audience, being only on the thinnest fringe of the industry.

-fm Webmaster, Rails on Wheels, Washtenaw County, Michigan's HO Modular Club, at

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

Fortunately for me, I wandered to the other sections of the show. I didn't spend the whole day in the Model RR area (though I did spend a lot of time there). I like looking at other stuff; I like die-cast, the R/C stuff was interesting to me (like the 3-cyl radial aircraft engine; only $1200 msrp). Slot cars also, though I don't spend money there (or in RC). Books and plastic model kits are long-time interests.

But, as been said, vendor booths were less than last year. So in that arena, it was a disappointment. I know I didn't pick up as much literature as last year.

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Hi Kennedy:

If you like such things as that 3 cylinder radial engine, have you ever been to a NAMES show? THERE you can see 14 cylinder ones! And some train items too, though it's by no means a railroad show.

N.A.M.E.S. stands for North American Model Engineering Society. Their national show is held every April at the Southgate Civic Center, Southgate, MI.

The models are almost all hand built (scratchbuilt) miniature machinery. LOTS and LOTS of steam engines, but mostly stationary and marine types. Also lots of internal combustion engines, like miniature aircraft engines, auto engines, farm engines, etc. Also miniature machinery, like lathes, mills, etc. Almost everything is fully functional, producing lots of chuffs, growls, hisses, snorts, bangs, and shrieks. Unfortunately, from a purely scale standpoint, a few compromises with exact scale usually need to be made to make the miniatures run. Still, many are remarkably good models.

A flea market of the tools and parts needed to build such models is included at the show.

More hours of careful highly skilled human hobby effort I've never seen in one location. By THAT standard, it makes a typical N.M.R.A. or I.P.M.S. show look like a display of junk. It's not at all my intention to 'knock' the types of modeling represented by such other shows. I say that from the position of having built models that placed well at the national and/or regional level in both those other shows. But, many of the N.A.M.E.S. models take YEARS to build, not the days, weeks, or even months most of us associate with a hobby project. Part of my job is to be an instrument machinist, and I'm impressed.

If you like miniature machinery, or just want to see a LOT of beautiful craftsmanship, visit the N.A.M.E.S. show!

P.S. There are now several other similar shows springing up around the country. "Prime" and "Cabin Fever" come to mind. Look at the magazines "Live Steam" or "Modeltech" for locations and dates.

Dan Mitchell ==========

"Kennedy (no l>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell