KADEE conversion on P2K E8/E9 in HO

I'm not a big fan of using the long Kadee couplers for the front of the Proto 2000 E8/E9 diesels. Too much droop it seems to me. I'd like to move the coupler mounting forward such that I could use a standard #5 coupler and box. I know I have to fabricate my own mounting system; that's not the problem. What is a problem is: what will moving the mounting forward from the original position do to the operating radius and good coupler operation? Will it make operation on 22-24 inch radius curves difficult and restrict me to using some huge radius, which I have no room for. HO scale.

Reply to
Jack Sienkiewicz User

Yes, the long couplers are to permit operation of these long engines on tight radii, which is anything under about 36".

The droop is the result of too much vertical play, Cure is to cement a thin sliver of plastic at the front of the coupler box, or onto the bottom of the coupler shank. Some filing to make everything fit smoothly may be needed. Sometimes you can use a large washer underneath the coupler to provide more support.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

The secret to the long couplers is to provide a rest for them where they exit the body. You generally want to decrease the vertical size anyway so that the pocket looks right and filling in the bottom of the pocket area helps in this regard. I'll note that I've never had any problems with mounting the couplers on the loco body rather than on the frame. You just have to make sure that the body is sitting solidly on the frame - some thick pieces of styrene inside the body and screws up through the frame make this a good solid mounting.

-- Yeppie, Bush is such an idiot that He usually outwits everybody else. How dumb!

Reply to
Bob May

Or you can use the newer "scale" Kadee 78. It does not have the same coupler droop problem, and the box can be cut short to make it suitable for situations requiring a long shank coupler. Shortening the coupler box also allows it to work on sharper curves compared to the Kadee 5. See my web page for details.

Terry Flynn

HO wagon weight and locomotive tractive effort estimates

DC control circuit diagrams

HO scale track and wheel standards

Any scale track standard and wheel spread sheet

Reply to
NSWGR