[HO] coupler poll

What's your preferred HO scale coupler?
Accurail Accumate Bachmann EZ Mate Intermountain Kadee Magne-Matic McHenry Proto 2000
Sergent Engineering X2F (horn hook) Other
This is an informal poll. To vote, go to http://htmlgear.tripod.com/poll/control.poll?u=gb_route&amp ;i3&a=render
If you'd rather just see the current results of the poll, they are at http://htmlgear.tripod.com/poll/control.poll?u=gb_route&i3&a=vote

Kadees are my favorite. The all metal construction and replaceable coupler spring make for a very durable coupler. They'll take quite a bit of abuse, such as being banged together in a box as the trains go from the house to the club. (I'm working on a transport container, but until then it's the cardboard box.)
The all plastic knuckles tend to develop problems from either fatigue or deformation (especially if you hold the knuckle open too long), or the shafts bend and cause the head to sag.
X2F couplers should be banned. They hold together too well, making uncoupling extremely difficult. Plus, if you have a car that derails and falls over it'll take the entire train with it. I enjoy model railroading much more when I'm not rerailing a 25 car train.
Puckdropper

http://htmlgear.tripod.com/poll/control.poll?u=gb_route&amp ;i3&amp;a> > render

are at

http://htmlgear.tripod.com/poll/control.poll?u=gb_route&i3&a=vote
a bit

from
until
fatigue or

the
derails and

Put those stupid hook & loop couplers Botch-man uses on their HO/OO Thomas stuff on the ban list while your at it.
Len

The reason they use those things is because the prototypical Thomas the Tank Engine models used a different system. It's their cheap way to give kids something different and maintain the corporate* policy of "kids won't notice" (when in fact they're the ones who notice most!) I don't think they need to be banned, yet.
*This isn't Bachmann policy AFAIK, it's just most toy manufacturers get several details wrong because they don't believe kids would notice.
Puckdropper

Len wrote:

[...]
Those hook and loop couplers are pretty well standard for UK model trains. Some of the more serious modellers use a variety of other couplers, even three-link couplers that mimic the prototype, some evn Kadees! None of the alternatives has become a de facto standard as the knuckle couplers has for N. American models.
I use knuckle couplers from all mfrs, as long as they knuckle springs.
HTH
--
wolf k.

On 08 May 2008 09:03:44 GMT, Puckdropper

Back in the daze, Mantua hook and loop. Cheap, simple, and they worked well with the appropriate low-priced uncoupling ramp.
Now daze, I use Kadees. Lots pricier, not so functional, and lotta times a giant tree comes down out'n the sky to perform the uncoupling rite.
What HO folks need is something like Lionel (un)couplers, eh. Push a button and it's done.
Tejas Pedro
Random Excess wrote:

Accumate Scale Coupler. for the smaller size and narrow pocket.
Howard Garner

(A) In case you've been pulling a Rip Van Winkle for the last 20 years, *everything's* a lot pricier than it used to be, gas, food, and couplers included.
(B) "Not so functional"? In what way? Having used both, I'd give the edge to Kaydee's functionality; hands down.
(C) Uncoupling via ramps/magnets or any electronic method is even *more* unprototypical than using a probe: real trains are almost always uncoupled by hand. (And "giant trees" in HO scale would be roughly 41" long by 1.3" wide at the base, which seems more than a little bit oversized for an uncoupling probe.)
"Flying saplings" would be more like it.

Just a *bit* impractical from a cost and complexity standpoint.
-Pete

Once again it's "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee".
The most common spelling mistake on model railway groups is peoples' inability to spell K A D E E.
Followed by "Advice" and "Advise".
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West

But are you *sure*?

What's his deodorant got to do with the spelling of KD?
Puckdropper

">>> Once again it's "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee",

"KD"? Kraft Dinner? That Canadian staple?
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
On 5/9/2008 9:00 PM Roger T. spake thus:

No, it's that lowercase singer (last name of laing, I believe).
conversation with the average voter.

No, uppercase KD is Kraft Dinner. See: -
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/productspromotions/j-l/kraftdinnerbrandpage.htm
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West

Check out DCCuncoupling.com They make a decoder/solenoid set up that works very well.
--
Frank Rosenbaum
Please Support the following train shows:

--- Snip, Snip

That's only a good solution if you have a federally funded layout.
Regards
Rashputin wrote:

Oh, come on. For *real* authenticity, you need to shrink your operating crew down to the appropriate scale and put *them* on the layout.
mark
Frank A. Rosenbaum wrote:

Lionel ????
Their system (as such) [Except for the 'Radio Control' special set --- Loco & 3 or 4 cars] is restricted to FIXED LOCATION 'Uncoupler Tracks'. The 'Radio Control' system WOULD work anywhere, but was restricted to the 'original equipment' (NO User accessory equipment possible.)
The DCC system mentioned, while not inexpensive, is expandable AND works anywhere also.
Chuck D.

When you write "not so functional," what coupler type are you comparing them to?
How does a person uncouple Mantua hook and loop couplers?
Mark Mathu skriver:

Fleischmann profi.
Klaus