[HO] coupler poll

B'ichela wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pinkrose.net.dhis.org:

N scale Rapido couplers seem to have solved the backing issue. They're basically oversized squared knuckles that couple automatically by lifting one over the other. Unfortunately, the coupler spring is seperate so there's some assembly to be done. (Fighting coupler springs is NEVER fun!)

I don't think they'd look too bad on HO models...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"P. Roehling" wrote in news:482504f0$0$30492 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

What's his deodorant got to do with the spelling of KD?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

instal without losing all the parts! ;)

being on disability one has to make

Which is the most important reason of all!!!!!!!

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

Much better. You did notice the smilie?

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

">>> Such as? Australia and Russia both strike me as being possibilities

Who went to down to Washington DC and burnt the "Whitehouse" down.

Well, it only became the "Whitehouse" after the fire 'cause they painted it white to cover up the fire damage.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

I use the Rapido heads on my British HO models.

- mounted on wires running circa 2" back to a fixed point on the underframe

- iron link chain dangling in the appropriate point for magnetic uncoupling

- wire bar below the bufferbeam to limit the drop.

They are small, cheap, magnetic uncoupling, very light coupling and will couple with a standard NEM coupler. (they don't then uncouple magnetically) I did try NEM and Kadee couplers but they were too large and spoiled the appearance.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

">>> Once again it's "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee", "Kadee",

"KD"? Kraft Dinner? That Canadian staple?

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

When you write "not so functional," what coupler type are you comparing them to?

How does a person uncouple Mantua hook and loop couplers?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

No big deal, your newsreader is just probably not recognizing the final parenthesis in the URL. Just use the link but add the final ")" to it, or hopefully this does the trick:

Reply to
Mark Mathu

On 5/9/2008 9:00 PM Roger T. spake thus:

No, it's that lowercase singer (last name of laing, I believe).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"The name 'White House' probably came into colloquial use soon after the stonemasons whitewashed the house in 1798 to protect the walls."

Mark Mathu

No, uppercase KD is Kraft Dinner. See: -

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

American revisionist history.

In 1812, American invaders, expecting an easy march into Canada were beaten back by British, Canadian and First Nations peoples.

No, The White House (Sorry for the misspelling) was painted white after it was set fire by invaders from Canada in August, 1814.

After capturing the Presidential Manor (The the "White House was then known), the British commanders ate the supper which had been prepared for the president before they burned the Presidential Mansion the Treasury and other public buildings. The Presidential Manor rebuilt and painted white to cover the parts damaged by the fire and renamed the "White House". Something not talked about much south of the 49th.

Same as they still claim North America was "discovered" by that later comer Columbus when in fact, the Vikings were here way before he set foot on some Caribbean Island and thought he'd found a route to Japan or China.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

"Roger T." wrote

Yup.

Reply to
P. Roehling

No one is saying it wasn't painted white then. revisionist history is to deny that it was white before then.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

My references state the White House was built 1792-1800 of white painted Aquia sandstone. If so, then is was always white.

Reply to
Whodunnit

I've read both versions.

1) It was white before being burnt.

2) It was painted white after being burnt.

It wasn't called the "White House" until after the fire.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

Now THIS sounds like an interesting an useful bit of information, Greg

Thanks!!

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

Lionel ????

Their system (as such) [Except for the 'Radio Control' special set --- Loco & 3 or 4 cars] is restricted to FIXED LOCATION 'Uncoupler Tracks'. The 'Radio Control' system WOULD work anywhere, but was restricted to the 'original equipment' (NO User accessory equipment possible.)

The DCC system mentioned, while not inexpensive, is expandable AND works anywhere also.

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

It's amazing that a coupler poll turns into an argument over White House history here :) Well, the short answer is that it didn't officially become "The White House" until Teddy Roosevelt's time. I've read the Wikipedia entry, and it seems sound enough. The URL is:

Sad that it's no longer open to the public. I toured it in 1969. Nice house. Beats a double-wide mobile home. Scary that Nixon was probably upstairs while I was there... :)

Dale

Reply to
Dale Carlson