WTD: Primer on couplers for HO scale

Hello

I'm a newbie as far as model railroading goes. Just have a Bachman HO scale train set and some track. I see a large number of choices to buy engines, cars, etc. from.

However, I'm also aware that there might be different kind of couplers. So, is there a guide somewhere that details different type available? My set has EZ-Mate couplers, according to the instruction sheet that came with the train.

BTW, which brands are considered to be reliable and good quality?

Thanks for your help. If this has been a FAQ, then could you please point me the URL? Google didn't exactly help.

Reply to
Pankajkumar Chauhan

: Thanks for your help. If this has been a FAQ, then could you please : point me the URL? Google didn't exactly help. : : -- : - Pankaj

FAQ at

KTØT

Kadee, Kadee, Kadee and Kadee.

Don

Reply to
Trainman

In the U.S. There are really two major flavors of couplers horn-hook and Kadee. For years almost all equipment came with horn-hook couplers. Their official designation is something like X2F. Kadee was the vendor that made a more realistic looking and operating coupler.

A few years ago the Kadee patents expired and here came the clones. Your Bachman EZ-Mates are one of those. There is also McHenry and Accumate brands. Possibly others. I have tried all three of these and for one reason or another they are all inferior to Kadee. Kadees still have a few flaws, but much less than any of the others I've tried.

The biggest issue I've had is that the knock offs are generally plastic while Kadee's are metal. The plastic knuckles stretch under load and a long train will separate. Often they never recover from the stress and are permanently distorted. The second thing is that they don't seem to return to center as reliably. I don't know if it is weak springs or the surface friction of plastic on plastic.

Bottom line is that the Kadee line is very proven, diverse, and reliable. I favor the size and look of the "new" #58. While they are all inter operable, I hope they begin to make that "size" in all the other variations (short/long shank, over/under set knuckles) they produce.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

````` And last but definitely not least, don't forget about...

KADEE! (Try the rest, then stay with the best!)

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (...and Kadee guy, too!)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy