RMC "guide"

Here's a copy of an email I just sent to the editor of RMC:

"Train Set Buyer's Guide" Oh good, a little help for the newbie. Hah! What it was was a puff piece for the manufacturers. They even wrote the set descriptions.

I went back and looked at last years "guide". Surprise! While it still offered little help in choosing a set, at least it had quite a bit of useful info.

Why did you change? I could have expected something like this from the "other" magazine, but I've always considered RMC a superior publication. That's why I subscribe.

Your standards slipped when this "guide" was approved. Please go back to at least the quality of last years guide for next year.

I'm not trying to start a big argument about magazines. I'm asking that those of you who also subscribe to RMC and agree with me about the "guide", let the editor know about it. A little complaining from subscribers goes a long way. Thanks.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I stopped subscription to RMC a year ago, when almost every issue was sent to me 3 months to late. Worst part was that I never received an answer to my emails about this. I do like RMC though so now I have it sent to me by an English Hobby Shop.

As for the beginners guide to trainsets, yes those are additorials, I don't like pages of a magazine being waisted on additorials at all, thats also how I feel about the pages with new stuff, its a waste of pages, everything on those pages I have already read in the Newsletters sent by the manufacturers or on their websites.

If printed magazines go on this way, they will dissappear , wich I don't like , because I like reading the magazine in bed or on the sofa, lot more relaxed then from a computer screen.

Just my 2 cents Jan

Reply to
Jan Van Gerwen

I too like RMC but the news stand price in Australia is far too high to justify purchase ($18.50). MR is 'only' $9.95.

Reply to
ten

"ten" schreef in bericht news:jcv0rg$s35$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

I too like RMC but the news stand price in Australia is far too high to justify purchase ($18.50). MR is 'only' $9.95.

That is ridiculous, I get it for just a little more then the US store price, and I believe the Aus $ is almost the same as US $, wouldn't you be better off with subscribing or is that also so much more expensive on acount of the shipping?

MR would cost you 62,95 US per year and RMC 50 US, both don't make a difference between Europe or Australia its Foreign for them.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan Van Gerwen

Subscribe to a free online eZine you can download into your PC. Some articles have videos. I have been doing this for over three years. The owner of the site is there a lot. He was with the Kalmbach, Model Railroader, Trains magazine company as a contributor in their forums. You do not have to join the forums to download the magazine.

Rich

There are a couple there who live in Oz.

Reply to
Rich

"Rich" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@z25g2000vbs.googlegroups.com...

Subscribe to a free online eZine you can download into your PC. Some articles have videos. I have been doing this for over three years. The owner of the site is there a lot. He was with the Kalmbach, Model Railroader, Trains magazine company as a contributor in their forums. You do not have to join the forums to download the magazine.

I am a subscriber from day 1 , and yes I like it, but not like a paper magazine, it doesn't read as relaxed.

Grtz Jan

Reply to
Jan Van Gerwen

Neither magazine are as interesting to me as they once were so I pick and choose which issues I buy, a subscription would likely be a waste of money when I might only buy a few issues each year.

I do the same with the UK model magazines, only buy when it is of high interest.

I believe that the high price is due to the distributor maintaining high profit margin for low demand publications.

I might add that the railfan bookshop in Sydney sells RMC for around $9 but MR for $10. It costs me $6.40 return rail fare to go there though.

For an English weekly that my mother gets, the cover price is 90p but costs $3 (about double) at the news stand. The printed $NZ and $CAD prices are not as high a markup.

Reply to
ten

I download this already. There is no need to subscribe.

Reply to
ten

You can probably buy a whole year's subscription for no more than you pay for a few individual issues.

Reply to
a_a_a

I certainly found that to be true, depending on what "few" means. I was buying 3 or 4 copies of Classic Bike, a British motorcycle magazine, every year. The only place I found it charged $9.99 an issue plus tax. So I was spending $33-$45 a year for my 3 or 4 issues. For 42 pounds (about $65) I get 12 issues - and I get them a month earlier.

So my 12 issues cost me less than 6 issues would individually.

BTW, the difference between US and British prices is 1 pound per issue.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

4 or 5 MR < AU$50 and similar for RMC < AU$50 (from the right source) = less than subscription. AU$1 = US$1.014.

The remainder would be a waste of money and would go straight to recycling which is a poor environmental alternative.

Reply to
ten

You said you could not get RMC for under $9.95, did you not? 5 * AUD9.95 for five issues is more than USD 50 for 12 issues. On the other hand, if you do get RMC cheaper than you were complaining about, why are you feeling aggrieved and what point were you trying to make?

Reply to
a_a_a

No, re-read it - AUD9.95 was for MR.

November RMC is either AUD18.50 at news stands or AUD9 from the ARHS bookshop which I visit every few months.

Adding bank international transaction fees and the exchange rates used by the credit card issuer increase the cost of the US subscription rate.

As previously stated, these mags are becoming increasingly less relevant to me so I will likely purchase less of them in the years to come. It is more practical, economic and green to scan the contents of an edition then purchase if, and only if, there is a must read article.

End of discussion.

Reply to
ten

Got coal in your stocking again this year, eh?

Merry Christmas.

Reply to
Twibil

In that case, do as I do for MR - I borrow it from the local library. If they don't carry it, I don't know how libraries work in Oz, but mine (US) has subscribed to a couple of magazines just on my suggestion.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Then get an NAB Gold account and associated Visa debit card which do not charge any of those extra fees.

Reply to
a_a_a

I lost no sleep on that. No way am I going to complain.

I went back to look at again tonight... George Riley is credited with material in that section (pp. S5, S8-S11,S14-S15) - he is a Carstens author.

Welcome... new modelers, those who got a renewed interest from that supplement, younger family members who may have had a father/grandfather share that supplement with you, and thank you to those who used the supplement to introduce still others to the hobby.

__________ Mark Mathu Whitefish Bay, Wis. The Green Bay Route:

Mark Mathu