Leaving the NG.

Well folks, there comes a time when things get bad. I'm going blind and am basically unable to really read a computer screen any more. As a result,
I'm going to have to stop reading and commenting on this newsgroup. If my vision gets beter, I will be coming back again but, at the present time, it looks like I'll be completely blind by Christmas. Thanks for all of the memories.
-- Bob May

Terrible news, Bob. I'll pray that the situation changes for the better.
Bill
On 7/22/2010 6:58 PM, Bob May wrote:

    I am so sorry to hear that Bob, I always enjoyed reading your comments and thoughts. I hope there is a change in your future for the better. Good luck.
Brian

Hope things turn around for you, Bob.
~Pete
Sorry to hear about the vision issues.
Been there, done that though in my case they were somewhat successful in my right eye, at least restoring enough vision for me to be able to still drive but I lost 100% the left eye.
So I know what you are going through.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On 22/07/2010 18:58, Bob May wrote:

All the best, Bob. Perhaps you can get some text-to-speech software, and continue participating that way.
Peace, wolf k.
Bob May wrote:

Sincere sympathies. Never just accept what one or two people tell you committing you to blindness; there are a number of technologies/therapies nowadays but some practitioners seem reluctant ever to mention them.

Very sad to hear this.
Please research text to speech and speech to text software. For All you do on a computer. They have much better stuff these days than even five or so years ago.

I work for a charity supporting disabled people with IT, most of our blind clients use Jaws (a text to speech program) but at least one uses Windows Eyes, neither are cheap but they do work.
These allow you to (for example) drop the newspaper into the scanner and have it read out to you. Jaws does find some websites difficult, especially those that favour the 'flaming rotating logo' style of web design, but in general the better sites work fine.
One 'gocha' in windows is the pop-up dialogue box, you have to click on these to continue working (there have been times our people have travelled miles, clicked on 'ok' and gone back home).
Never seen it myself but I suspect if the computer just 'dies' on you you could use Alt+Tab to switch between open windows to find the offending dialogue.
If you do not yet touch type try 'Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing'.
It is worth getting to grips with the IT side, it can be a real lifeline.
I was a full time carer for ten years (girlfriend got mown down by a truck, all sorts of physical problems which lead to her having a full blown mental breakdown) - Usenet in particular kept me sane.
I couldn't do the modelling but my god son was just starting so I wrote up some notes for him, more got added over time and if you print the thing out now its the size of a couple of telephone directories.
http://www.igg.org.uk/rail
That really helped, it gave me problems to solve that I could solve.
Your experience is full of useful information that others might find of great assistance (I still get a few e-mails a month from the site and I haven't done any serious updating for ages).
Building a web site like that is not difficult, we did work out a methodology allowing a blind guy to maintain a charity website, if you would like more information on that use the link on the above website to contact me off group so we can exchange adress details. Please ensure the first word on the subject line is GANSG Short for 'Goods And Not So Goods', your spell checker may try and change it to GANGS.
We don't maintain websites, we train people to do it, but we do assist with the initial setting up and we do supply third party training software, and we try and do everything for free (our clients are typically short of money).
All the best
Mike
Bob May wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear thi, I've often enjoyed your posts. I wish you the best possible resolution of this terrible news.
Perhaps Wolf K.'s suggestion of text-to-speech software would be at least a partial solution?
Dan Mitchell ===========

Bad news, old son. But there might be some cheer in that of all internet technologies, usenet might be the best served by text-to-voice. Solutions existed as far back as the 1980s, certainly.
Best wishes for the future, anyway.