Lionel 646 engine repair question

I have a 646 Hudson steam engine that I've been running with my set since 1953. The set comes out now just briefly for the holidays,
(space is limited). This year while cleaning and lubricating my equipment I noticed that there is a gear on the left side of the engine between the most forward and center of two of the six large wheels in the center of the engine that seems to wobble on the post it rides on. The post looks like its ok. It just seems to be the hole in the gear that has opened up considerably. This gear, about the size of a quarter was just "placed" on this shaft, however with the large wheels in place it is captive and cannot be removed from the shaft without removing these two of the six wheels in the center of the engine. The wheels seem to have been pressed on to their shafts and I don't want to force anything. The engine still runs well, however this gear wobbles as it drives the other wheel. Luckily, the teeth on the gear as well as the teeth on the wheels are not chewed yet, but if this situation persists I'm sure they will be. I'm certain that this can only get worse if neglected. I have always maintained and even rebuilt many pieces of my set over the years but I've never disassembled an engine drive before. Can anyone more familiar with this kind of dissasembly please advise me as to how to go about removing these driving wheels without damaging the engine. Or if there is a more appropriate newsgroup I might present this question to I would very much appreciate being advised of that as well. Thanks very much, Lenny

"Greenberg's Repair and Operating Manual for Lionel Trains, 1945-1969":
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/646.htm
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd2a.htm
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire
On 1/17/2010 11:09 AM Bill spake thus:

So, nicey-nice bot Bill, just how are these links supposed to be helpful?
The first one contains 3 PDFs of parts lists for this locomotive. Helpful, I suppose, if you know just what part you need to replace, but useless otherwise. (The 2nd link is just a page that contains the first link.) So I don't think this is going to help the OP much.

- a Usenet "apology"

Does anyone know whats involved to remove the driving wheels? Lenny

Shut up, David Nebenzahl.
Bill
There is a society for toy trains and a magazine for the organization. Sorry that I don't know how to get to the group other than doing a web search but 30 years ago they were a big society. As to the drivers, I do believe that they are merely pressed on the axles so they should come off without too much trouble with the right tools. Don't even try to do that work with a vise, etc. as they need to come off square if you wish to put them back on. Also, don't pull the rims of the wheels as the drivers aren't that strong at the edge. Usually in any large city there will be a Lionel repair center which is something else to look for.
-- Bob May

TCA, The Train Collectors Association...
http://traincollectors.org /
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire
Thanks Bill! If TCA can't hadle it, it ain't Lionel, Marx or several othr makers of old toy trains.
-- Bob May