Lionel locomotive problem

Greetings, all. I just got an old Lionel 2-6-4 Prairie. It ran terrifically for a couple of weeks, but then began getting slower and slower, until finally it will hardly move at all--as if it's gotten old and weak. I haven't been unable to find anything wrong with it, though I haven't disassembled the motor (hoping that it wouldn't come to that). The track, wheels and rollers are all clean. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
tomj

Lubrication needed. LaBelle 101 or 102 needle oiler. I've actually used Mobil 1 for 10+ years now in the LaBelle oilers.

Just a drop - enough to wet each axle bushing, gear axles too, and especially each end of the armature and your spur-gear Lionel should chug along like new.

In extreme cases, it may need new motor brushes, but this is usually after a lifetime or two with these small steamers.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I don't know Lionel, but a Prairie type is a Whyte system 2-6-2; there were some 2-6-4T used in "suburban service" according to this site:

If it doesn't have a separate tender, perhaps that's what it is. But then Lionel was geatly never constrained by considerations of prototypicality.

Reply to
Steve Caple

...carbon buildup in the slits between the commutator bars will cause motor to run hot with gradual slow-down. Clean slits out with X-acto knife, pin or tooth pick

Reply to
Whodunnit

Sounds like the company's low regard for the prototype world has been eagerly adopted by the collectors. L@@K! RARE!

LOL!!!

Baffling, absolutely mind-boggling. But perfect for this day of wretched excess. Remember, Not One Damn Dime!!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Thank you very much! I will try this.

Reply to
tomj

Yeah, "Prairie" is Lionel-lingo. Lionel authenticity were never like what scale modelers strive for. I have HO, N and G as well for more serious prototypicality. The Lionel set is just for enjoyment.

Reply to
tomj

Thanks! I'll check this out.

Reply to
tomj

Geezer replied:

*** the later 2036, 2016, 2018, 2029, and 2037 loco's, all of which shared the same basic boiler casting and mechanism. The later engines all used a cheaper sheet metal inside-bearing 4 wheel trailing truck, makeing the locos into 2-6-4's. Lionel fans compensate for this error by calling the 675, 2025, 2035 series of locos the "K-4 Pacifics", even though these locos also were originally 2-6-2's and became 2-6-4's in later production. Gary Q

-------------------------------------------------- And yet, the "real" K-4 Pacifics were 4-6-2's. I always liked the old Lionel crossing gate and railroad crossing flasher that were way oversided. I once thought of getting an HO scale one and using it on my N scale layout to create the same effect.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites: