Lionel Polar Express Tain Set Rip Off Artists

I feel bad for those who must have this item before Christmas. What a
huge rip off on ebay, and other online stores are also gouging.
Wonder what the set will sell for after the Holidays. I think that
retailers are hoarding stock so they can gouge. I will remeber those
who gouged an make it a point not buy from them ever.
I recntly had the opportunity to meet the new president of Lionel at
Charles Ro in Malden, MA. He seems to be delighted that all of his
stuff is now made in China. He did mention that the company held out
for a long time as an American made product line but he admitted that
they could not compete in the market place.
By the way, Charles Ro claims they will not partake in price gouging,
in fact their price (when they get them in) will probably be below
MSRP
Reply to
Finite Guy
Commeht from my LHS is that they've only gotten two so far with orders for sixteen. One comment there was that they'll probably be available from Lionel after the expected price increase the first of the year.
Carl Heinz
Reply to
Carl Heinz
What a
that
There's no stock to hoard.
In one of their stupider moves, Lionel short produced these sets and the entire production run was sold out before the movie ever hit the theaters.
The retail store where my repair shop is located ordered 50 of these sets when they were first announced, they had advance reservations for 26, and actually received 16.
Retailers are furious with Lionel for not using the movie tie-in better on this one. The ones I've talked with say if they had been able to get the sets, they could have set up in the theater lobbies and easily sold 20 to 50 sets after every showing.
Several theaters called the store asking them to come and do just that. But with only 16 sets that were already spoken for, the owner had to decline. -- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum
Reply to
Len
I feel bad for those who must have this item before Christmas. *** ------------------------------------------------
It's unfortunate that Lionel didn't have more of these sets produced. It's a very attractive set with a Berkshire and three cars, etc. for $249.99. Not only are the potential customers unhappy, but I'm sure the Lionel dealers and Lionel are also not very pleased.
History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:
Bill
I have only one thing to say:
Remember Tickle-Me-Elmo, Furby, Pokeymon, etc...
I want it now! I don't care how much it costs! Waaaaaaaa! There is a fool born every minute. Kids nowadays....
Peteski
Reply to
Peter W.
"Peter W." <
And before that, Cabbage Patch Kids?
-- Cheers Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway (Site now back up and working)

Roger T.
Well, just to set the record straight. According to Mike Braga, head of customer service Lionel and John Brady, VP Sales they increased their initial order of these sets three times and it was still not enough to meet the demand. They knew that the sets would be popular but did not want to over produce them. They have the rights to produce this set for the next year and will have more availble when the DVD is released.
Anyone who preordered these sets will receive them at the original pre-order price and most will receive them before Christmas 2004.
Reply to
TRAINMAN9
sets
ever
head of
their initial
meet the demand.
over produce them.
Over producing them isn't the issue with the retailers. Not producing enough for the actual orders submitted by even half is. Our store ordered 50 and received 16. This was typical all over.
will have more
While there may be some 'bump from the DVD release, it will have nowhere near the potential sales impact on these sets the theater release of the movie did.
original pre-order
But nothing near the number they ordered. Which is what the retailers I've talked with are in a burn about. -- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum
Reply to
Len
Up until a few days ago the folks at Lands' End had the set in stock and were selling them for $249. No price gouging. A class act. They seemed to have them in stock way after other dealers probably because most people wouldn't have thought to shop for a Lionel train at Lands' End. S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster" "Trains are a winter sport"
Reply to
SAIL LOCO
| Up until a few days ago the folks at Lands' End had the set in stock and were | selling them for $249. No price gouging. A class act. They seemed to have | them in stock way after other dealers probably because most people wouldn't | have thought to shop for a Lionel train at Lands' End.
Out of stock until february. Never the less, checking non traditional places is a good idea.
CTucker NY
Reply to
Christian
Remember, kids: Froogle is your friend!
I don't know if any of these have iut in stock, but it's a list of places to call...
Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom
Do not overpay unless you are desperate to have this set like right now. Reputable shops are taking orders for $209.
Reply to
Corelane
A D-I-Y set for the desperate masses!
Rob
Reply to
trainfan1
When did your store submit the orders for the Polar Express sets?
Reply to
Mark Mathu
EHobbies is the first one the list, and it's out of stock... where is Rathburne when you need him?
Reply to
Mark Mathu
Can you name one?
Reply to
Mark Mathu
Nassua Hobby. Charlie will order a set for decent price.
Corelane
I have two 1938 O gage in perfect condition. What do you think they are worth? One is a scale model of the Pen. switch engine and the other is a Pen passenger engine
Nassua Hobby. Charlie will order a set for decent price.

Boots