Lionel question

what is best way to remove truck coupler rivet to replace spring,

Reply to
Tom

I'm assuming you mean the knuckle rivet...

Cut it off & replace with new, peening it over at the bottom when done. If you have any amount of Lionel equipment, the springs & rivets are a regular service item, like wiper blades & headlamp bulbs on cars.

You will lose a couple-few springs at your first attempt, get extras. Se your LHS/Lionel Service Station - these are stock items.

If none available, see:

for the TOPS in quick service & shipping on Lionel & Flyer parts.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

spring,

I find it easiest to use a Xuron(tm) track cutting tool to cut off the flared end of the rivet. Second best is a small pair of flush cutting wire cutters.

If you're only doing a couple of these, start the flare with a small center punch, and finish with a small ball-peen hammer. If you have a lot of them, I highly recommend the 'Brakeman's Riveting Tool'. You can check it out at:

There are also links to sites where you can get repro versions of the springs and rivets.

If you want Lionel original parts, you can them directly from the Customer Service section of Lionel's web site. The P/Ns follow:

Spring (#TC-22 & #480-16 in Greenberg's Post-War Repair Guide):

600-0480-016 Spring, $0.20ea Note: Interchangable with the TC-22 spring for all practicle purposes.

Pin/Rivet (#TC-23 in Greenberg's):

690-00TC-023 Pin .509 Dia x .406 Steel (Nickle Plated) $0.10ea or 691-00TC-023 Rivet .509 Dia x .406 Steel (Black Oxide) - Obsolete $0.10ea Note: Being obsolete, supplies may be limited

Considering the shipping charges, I would order a bunch of these at a time. Maybe split an order with some friends, or order some larger things at the same time.

Len

Reply to
Len

Other posters have answered your original question. However, in my experience, the rivet is the lesser problem. I find the air turns blue when trying to reinstall the knuckle and spring and rivet in the coupler head. The rivet nicely holds the spring in place on the knuckle, but must be removed to move the knuckle into final position, most often sending the spring flying. A couple tricks I use are:

When repairing couplers that use the mechanical actuator plate, save a short length (1/2") of the round rubber outer jacket from 3 conductor appliance cord, and place this just behind the pin on the plate between the plate and the bottom of the coupler head to hold the pin down out of the way so you don't have to force it with the knuckle as you insert the knuckle and spring. A short piece of a stiff, fat fast-food soda straw will also work to hold the pin out of the way.

Also, to both hold the spring to the knuckle, and to prevent its loss if it tries to fly off, use a length of fine thread looped through the spring loop and knuckle hole. Hold the two together with the new rivet as you initially insert the knuckle and compress the spring against the inside of the coupler head. Remove the rivet when the knuckle won't insert further, put it through the top hole in the coupler head, press the knuckle home and press home the rivet, and pull the thread free.

About the only other thing that helps is three hands with small fingers. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer