Lionel track for Geezer

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I'll try to answer each question as it is asked.

Thank you for you help.

> How do I determine the type of prewar track I have? >> Thanks > > Track is one of the less documented areas in Toy train collecting. I > don't > know of a site that identifies the track made by the various tinplate > manufacturers, and the evolution of the track in each product line. If > you > provide the following information, I may be able to help identify what you > have: > What is the length of the straight and curved sections?

Curved is almost 12" outer edge to outer edge. Straight is 10"

How many curve sections complete a circle and what is the outside diameter > of the completed circle?
8 pieces for a circle 31" or 32" outside diameter

What is the color of the rail and the ties? (Are the ties blackened or the

> same as the rail? Is the rail bright nickel, dull gray, oxidized to a > greenish brown, etc.?)

Dull gray with black ties

What is the shape of the connecting pins? (Rounded or pointed end? With > groove or not?), Pointed end with groove seems to cover most of them

where are they installed (3 at one end, or 1 at one end and

2 at the other?), All over

and how are the anchored to the rail? (Single or double

crimp on the side of the rail head, tab squeezed in rail web, etc.?) One > Crimp > What is the shape of the ties? (Level or sloped top? Open or closed ends? > Height of tie?) Level, Open 1/2" > What does the tab holding the rail to the tie look like? (How many ridges > in the crimp? Is the center rail tab smooth or does it have crimp ridges > like the running rails?)
2 Ridges on outer ends, smooth in the middle

And most obviously, is a name embossed on stamped in the rail web or tie?

Looks like it is stamped - Lionel on one end NY on the other,

Geezer
Reply to
John Smith Jones

Getting ready to head to York, so this will be brief. What you describe sounds to me to be early post-war (WWII) Lionel O gauge track. As best that I can determine, in the early to mid 1930's. Lionel shifted from tin-plated rails and ties with staggered (2 at one end, 1 at the other) nail-like pointed pins to bright nickel plated rails and ties with round, double grooved pins all at one end (the clockwise end of the curved track). In the later 1930's they changed to use chemically blackened ties. In my experience, the nickel rails stay fairly shiny, or tend to rust where the plating deteriorates. After WWII, Lionel continued the blackened ties and grooved pins, but used what I have heard is cadmium plated rails, which are much less frequently found rusted, and have a very dull mid-gray color. In the late 40's, Lionel shifted back to bright nickel plated rail. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer