Modeling Erosion: Extreme Case!

Went out just yesterday to trainwatch along the Onion Pacific mainline climbing Beaumont Hill, and made an interesting discovery: the concentrated rainstorms we had back during December caused some truly massive landslides along the hillsides north of the tracks, and entire hillsides have disappeared for a distance of several miles; along with all of the vegetation they formerly supported. What used to be the verdant hills of rainy-season southern California have become scenery more fitting for Death Valley.

U.P. mainline operations weren't affected, as the mudslides were all well north of the tracks and on the far side of San Timoteo Canyon creek, which intercepted the crud and sent it downstream.

There are a number of horse/cattle ranches on the north side of the creek, but apparently their owners had the sense not to put their buildings directly in harm's way; because everything I could see was still standiing.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Classic after shots for a geomorphology lesson.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You can't fool me, Lobby!

You just wanted to use "geomorphology" in a sentence!

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

You can't fool me, Lobby!

You just wanted to use "geomorphology" in a sentence!

~Pete

Actually it's what I studied in grad school, so I do try to use it now and then :)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

So one assumes that you named your private road the "San Andreas Western"? "The line that's perfect to a fault"?

A number of possibly entertaining logos spring to mind...

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Well done!

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

So one assumes that you named your private road the "San Andreas Western"? "The line that's perfect to a fault"?

A number of possibly entertaining logos spring to mind...

~Pete

Kind of like the Pingo Northern. Glacial Geomorphology was main interest.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
Twibil

I once dated a girl (Ginny Landry) who was studying to become a geologist, but I never thought to esker why.

~Pete

Reply to
Lobby Dosser