Modeling Erosion: Extreme Case!

Went out just yesterday to trainwatch along the Onion Pacific mainline climbing Beaumont Hill, and made an interesting discovery: the
concentrated rainstorms we had back during December caused some truly massive landslides along the hillsides north of the tracks, and entire hillsides have disappeared for a distance of several miles; along with all of the vegetation they formerly supported. What used to be the verdant hills of rainy-season southern California have become scenery more fitting for Death Valley.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5375583531/#/photos/33885727@N03/5375583531/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5375585407/#/photos/33885727@N03/5375585407/lightbox /
U.P. mainline operations weren't affected, as the mudslides were all well north of the tracks and on the far side of San Timoteo Canyon creek, which intercepted the crud and sent it downstream.
There are a number of horse/cattle ranches on the north side of the creek, but apparently their owners had the sense not to put their buildings directly in harm's way; because everything I could see was still standiing.
~Pete

Classic after shots for a geomorphology lesson.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

You can't fool me, Lobby!
You just wanted to use "geomorphology" in a sentence!
~Pete

You can't fool me, Lobby!
You just wanted to use "geomorphology" in a sentence!
~Pete
Actually it's what I studied in grad school, so I do try to use it now and then :)
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

So one assumes that you named your private road the "San Andreas Western"? "The line that's perfect to a fault"?
A number of possibly entertaining logos spring to mind...
~Pete
On 22/01/2011 2:04 AM, Twibil wrote:

Well done!
Wolf K.

So one assumes that you named your private road the "San Andreas Western"? "The line that's perfect to a fault"?
A number of possibly entertaining logos spring to mind...
~Pete
Kind of like the Pingo Northern. Glacial Geomorphology was main interest.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

I once dated a girl (Ginny Landry) who was studying to become a geologist, but I never thought to esker why.
~Pete