Scratchbuilt model completed

Just wanted to post some pics of my completed (mostly) paper model of a local commercial building.

The full front:

As seen from street level:
Window detail:
Fire escape parts:
A better picture of the actual building:

Now that it's done, what am I going to do with it? I have no idea.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Nice work! Captured the feel of the prototype quite well.

If you enjoyed the work, maybe build the rest of the block or detail the flat.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"David Nebenzahl" schreef in bericht news:4d36326e$0$2363$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com...

Just wanted to post some pics of my completed (mostly) paper model of a local commercial building.

Now that it's done, what am I going to do with it? I have no idea.

Are those Gold Medal fire escapes David, and what scale is this in?

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen

On 1/18/2011 5:12 PM Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen spake thus:

HO, and no, they're totally scratchbuilt (see pic) from little bitty pieces of styrene. Pushed me to the very limits of my patience they did.

Turned out not bad. I got some details wrong (the building inspector would have a heart attack!). Next time I'll put in the braces properly.

I should take a closeup of the floor of the two balconies: ended up using tulle (wedding veil material) to simulate the floor grating. Not too shabby ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/18/2011 5:09 PM Lobby Dosser spake thus:

Thanks.

True. It still needs earthquake bolts, downspout, electrical conduit and lights, etc. Not to mention window shades, corrugated glass in the first-floor lites ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Very nice. As someon else suggested, do a few of the other buidlings, too. Lien them up along the sidewalk, and you could make a diorama 2" or

3" deep and 6ft long. Would impress a lot of people. Me, too. ;-)

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

I'd like to see that.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Nice job.

If you don't have room for a layout, build a one-HO-block-long photography diorama featuring a bunch of building fronts and a track down the middle of the street.

Oakland used to have a number of those.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

"David Nebenzahl" schreef in bericht news:4d364b3f$0$2373$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com...

On 1/18/2011 5:12 PM Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen spake thus:

Well done David, I was actually hoping you would reply "N-scale and I got them from there and there" , to scratchbuild them in N-scale would be almost impossible ( in other words to time costly ). So far the only ones I have found the usual way ( google ) are the Gold Medal Model ones in N-scale, anyone know any others? Sometimes I wish I was doing something larger then Normal-scale ;-) Something like these

( he sells them now in H0 and 0 scale ) in N-scale would be awesome.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen

Wow, thanks for the link. :)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

On 1/19/2011 1:14 AM Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen spake thus:

N scale is "normal scale"? My poor eyes are saying "No no no!".

That is indeed nice stuff. But I couldn't find anything on that page about the fire escapes (not to mention the other really nice ironwork, like railings). Who is "he"? What scale are these in? Where can you get this stuff?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Oh, I thought I posted the link to the webshop aswell, his name Is Ken Hamilton and what I gather from that forum is that this is either his or a freinds shop

of the pictures of the DPM kitbash are so amazingly real, I've looked at this one
several times now and can"t find one thing that would tell you its a model and not real life.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen

Looks as is if the pic was taken outdoors in natural sunlight because while the colors are very natural the shadows are too crisp for it to be a prototype photo. In particular, the shadows of the fire escape on the front of the building would be diffuse around the edges in full- scale, and the further the shadow fell from the object the more diffuse the shadows would become.

In model photos the shadows simply don't have the distance required to become fuzzy around the edges, but that's about the only give-away, though.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

On 1/19/2011 3:11 PM Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen spake thus:

Too bad it's too dang small (500x375); why do people post such teeny-tiny pictures? But other than that, yes, it does look very real. I love that and strive for it in my own modeling.

Compare to some of George Sellios' modeling:

little different because of the era and style, but still a good example. Plus a *nice big picture* ...)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Looks as is if the pic was taken outdoors in natural sunlight because while the colors are very natural the shadows are too crisp for it to be a prototype photo. In particular, the shadows of the fire escape on the front of the building would be diffuse around the edges in full- scale, and the further the shadow fell from the object the more diffuse the shadows would become.

In model photos the shadows simply don't have the distance required to become fuzzy around the edges, but that's about the only give-away, though.

~Pete

How about right around noon?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Max nix.

The reason that 1:1 scale Sun shadows have fuzzy edges is that the Sun is not a point-source of light: it's about the diameter of a dime held at arm's length (about half a degree), and the entire disk emits light.

This means that Sun shadows grow more and more diffuse at the edges as the two lines of sunlight from each edge of the solar disc diverge a bit as they get further and further from their intersecting point (the object creating the shadow); and this remains a constant whether it's dawn, dusk, or noon.

You can fake the effect pretty well in indoor photography by using the right color range of bulb, reflectors -and/or diffusers- but so far as I know it always remains a give-away in photos of models that are taken in direct non-diffused Sunlight.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Take a look:

Special Agent Melvin Purvis

Scroll down and right to see the fire escape. It doesn't look blurry to me.

Special Agent Melvin Purvis

The real-life fire-escape shadows are fuzzy-edged and grey when compared with the razor-edged and almost black shadows of the diorama.

Compare the two side by side and the difference should jump out at you.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

On 1/20/2011 2:42 PM Special Agent Melvin Purvis spake thus:

Kudos to you, Special Agent Purvis!

I too don't think Twibil's objection is valid *in this case*. After all, the shadow cast by a fire escape is only a couple of feet away from the wall upon which it's cast, so it's not going to get fuzzy as he describes. Now, the shadow of an object across a street will tend to soften, since it's at some distance, so this could be a giveaway that a photo is not the Real Thing.

By the way, noon should be the time of the sharpest (and smallest) shadows. Think about it: the sun's directly overhead, so shadows are as short as they're going to be during the day.

My, those photos on Shorpy are delicious, aren't they? Take that, you snot-nosed 20-somethings: let me see you try *that* with your iPhone!

Reply to
David Nebenzahl