Need Small Parts?

Here's a good way to make your own. If you have a metal item that is broken, you can glue it with SuperGlue(tm) which is strong enough to
make a mold.
See here: http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/models/casting/SpinCasting.htm
I've used a similar technique to make plastic castings but this is a terrific method. -- Ray
Cerro metals (of which there are a fair number) are nice to work with as they melt in the 200F temp range which means that you can do most of them in boiling water (assuming that you're not in Durango) and there is no fume problem to deal with. Using other stuff like epoxies in the mold also works well. There are cheap mold release stuff that work well with epoxies. Then there also is RTV (one part and two part stuff), not to mention stuff like Gorilla glue that can be used for making parts, each with their own strong and weak points. Finally, you can always do the part with wax and get it done in stuff like brass and even up to gold and platinum if you want to hide that stuff in plain sight.
-- Bob May

I've used long curing epoxy and it works great. If you add color to the epoxy, you can make it black or any other color.

I've got a jeweler friend here who does lost wax for me all the time. Great guy and he's willing to show me how. I know the principle of the process but it's always nice to have it shown to you. -- Ray

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in