New DCC Programmer

I have an old Digitrax PR-1 programming system installed on my even older Windows 95 computer (which I keep only to run PR-1). Now either the system
or the computer has failed and I would like to update the programming system. What is a good low-cost replacement for the PR-1?
I run Windows 2000 and while I have all Digitrax decoders I have an old Atlas Commander DCC system (Yes, I know, but I'm not ready to replace it yet.)
Carter Braxton
As I don't think the Atlas will take a computer input probably the best solution is to use a LocoBuffer with DecoderPro (JMRI) software. JMRI is free but the LocoBuffer is not. However this setup still requires a computer. See; http://www.rr-cirkits.com/locobuffer-usb/LB-usb-flyer.pdf and
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

While the PR-1 is a stand-alone programmer (not requiring a command station), the Locobuffer is NOT. It requires a LocoNet(tm) capable command station to operate (Digitrax or Intellibox).
JMRI can be used to _control_ a layout with an Atlas system. However, the Atlas DCC system does not permit programming decoders through a computer interface of any kind. This is a limitation of the Atlas system, not JMRI.
To use JMRI to program decoders, you'll need either an interface compatible with your system (not an option with the Atlas system...) OR a stand-alone programmer. The SPROG unit is a small command station that plugs into your computer.
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk /
Digitrax has the PR-2, the successor to the PR-1, that will also work.
http://www.digitrax.com/prd_compint_pr2.php
JMRI supports both of these units.
If you're into sound, you'll need the PR-2. It supports the sound downloading capability of the Digitrax decoders.
--
Evaluating all GUIs by the example of Windows is like evaluating all cars
by the example of Yugos.

probably the best

software. JMRI is

requires a

command
capable
However,
through a

Atlas
interface
system...) OR

station that

also work.

sound
Just a point of clarification. The PR-2 SoundFX Decorder Programmer is NOT a "successor" to the PR-1 Decoder Programmer. It is an adjunct to it, specifically for dealing with sound capable decoders.
The PR-1 is used to program decoder functions, etc., while the PR-2 is used for programing sounds, e.g., (assuming the appropriate sound file is available) loading the correct whistle sound for a specific locomotive into a sound capable decoder.
Len

Bob is the primary programmer on the JMRI project.
Note that the _software_ provided by _Digitrax_ with the PR-2 _is_ limited. However, when used with JMRI... :)
The PR-1 appears to have disappeared completely from the Digitrax web site. This is a pretty good clue it is NLA.
--
Evaluating all GUIs by the example of Windows is like evaluating all cars
by the example of Yugos.

Programmer.
the
whistle
_is_
Digitrax web

Try http://www.digitrax.com/prd_compint_pr1.php
And what I said is what we were told in a class for dealers conducted by Digitrax about Digitrax products, not JMRI.
Len
Thanks Guys
All I want to do is adjust the speed settings on various locos so I don't need the sound option but you guys have given me some very valuable information. Thanks for all your help.
Carter

system