Newbie---Nickle to brass track any potential problems?

I bought a load of Atlas HO brass track on Ebay for a few bucks, its in good shape but I need to intermix it with new nickel track. Are there any foreseeable problems with this? will the dissimilar metals have any adverse reactions?

Also the brass is a bit dirty whets the best track cleaner?

Thanks a Bunch, Matt

Reply to
Matt C.

Unless you want it only for a 2 week Xmas layout, get rid of it. I see Atlas brass snap track at shows for 10 cents a section and no one buys it.

Reply to
TCol

=>I bought a load of Atlas HO brass track on Ebay for a few bucks, its in good =>shape but I need to intermix it with new nickel track. =>Are there any foreseeable problems with this? will the dissimilar metals =>have any adverse reactions? =>

=>Also the brass is a bit dirty whets the best track cleaner? =>

=> Thanks a Bunch, => Matt

No problems mixing track, so long as the railjoiners make good contact. No problems cleaning it -- I mixed vinegar and salt in a shallow pyrex pan, and dropped the brass track into it - made it nice and shiny. That was a _long_ time ago - I don't do that anymore - no more brass track.

Brass track is no longer made -- and a for a very good reason. It's very hard to keep it clean. Brass. like all metals, oxidises, and the oxides that form on brass are insulators. You'll be cleaning track forever. Also, that yellow shine just doesn't look right. IOW, you got taken, my friend. Dump the track. Oh, wotthehell, mount a few sections on a nice piece of wood, ballast and paint it, mount a nice photo backdrop behind it, and fasten the whole thing to the wall where you can display a few choice items of rolling stock. That way you'll get some value out of it.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

No problem mixing the metals BUT, you WILL find that the brass track needs to be cleaned DAILY, while nickle silver has to be cleaned MAYBE once a year (depending on the environment.)

The heart of the problem is, ALL track will oxidize over time. The oxide of straight brass is an insulator, the oxide of nickle silver is a conductor.

Generally, using the brass isn't worth the effort.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

No potential problems, It seams like your first Layout so put the brass track in more easily assable areas, I use metholated spirits and a clean soft cloth and apply presure, remember to clean the track, loco, and wagon wheels as well from time to time and enjoy this fantastic hobby. ]

The ant from down under in the fish pond.

anthony

theantman1@big(fish)pond.com.au

remove (fish) to respond

Reply to
Anthony Chambers

Does that really work? What about destroying scenery and lineside buildings? Or developing a skin rash from solvents?

Reply to
E Litella

sorry for my bad spelling it is ment to accessable areas to help with cleaning and easier replacement when you can afford it. Just be carful and rap the cloth around a small block and apply meth . "DONT USE TURPS or KERO MELTS Ties" it's does not harm skin if worried use Gloves

Were Tough down Under. you can also use a clean cloth after to finish up

Ant

Reply to
Anthony Chambers

I don't think E was questioning your ability to apply it with your backside. It just seems like a more delicate operation than one could achieve with that method of application. Of course the neighbors might enjoy the show!!!! *8-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse