Model RR compared to N Scale mags

Just getting into N scale. I used to take Model Railroader and RMC years ago when I was doing HO. Now I have found two N scale only mags
on the stands, N-Scale and N Scale Railroading. I was wondering if any of you subscribers to MR and RMC could voice your opinion as to their content concerning N scale over the long run. Are they worth subscribing too or would you suggest sticking with the N scale only magazines. Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Okiechoochoo), In a message on 10 Sep 2003 16:16:59 -0700, wrote :
O> Just getting into N scale. I used to take Model Railroader and RMC O> years ago when I was doing HO. Now I have found two N scale only mags O> on the stands, N-Scale and N Scale Railroading. I was wondering if O> any of you subscribers to MR and RMC could voice your opinion as to O> their content concerning N scale over the long run. Are they worth O> subscribing too or would you suggest sticking with the N scale only O> magazines.
A lot of MR's content is either scale netural (relates to all scales) or else can be treated in a scale netural fashion -- that is although the article might be about a H0 layout, some of the *ideas* could be adapted for N scale. For example there is an article in the current issue about working interchanges where the author talks about connecting several off-scene 'staging' yards to the main layout by creating an interchange between two railroads: the layout's main RR and various crossing or connecting RRs, which only exist as off-scene staging yards. Although the author's layout is H0, this technique could easily be down in N-scale. There is a fair amount of N-Scale coverage as well.
O> Thanks O>
\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153
Okiechoochoo wrote: Just getting into N scale. I used to take Model Railroader and RMC years ago when I was doing HO. Now I have found two N scale only mags on the stands, N-Scale and N Scale Railroading. ---------------------------------------------------- You might like Model Railroading magazine. It offers articles by Paul Templar and Art Fahie, and frequently has other N scale material. I like it better than N Scale Magazine (most of the time).<g> . http://www.modelrailroadingmag.com /
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Resources: Links to over 700 helpful sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html
I presently have a subscription to Model Railroader (monthly) and purchase both N Scale magazine(Bi-monthly) and N Scale Railroading (Bi-monthly). Model Railroader presently averages one article on N scale each month. They review new N scale releases on a frequent basis which neither of the N scale magazines do. MR does articles on N scale project layout construction whereas neither of the N scale magazines do. Personally I like the counterpoint that MR provides you to the two N scale magazines and highly recommend all three of the magazines. Articles on scenery, wiring, and structure construction are applicable to all scales. For the beginner MR offers more advice on how to get started and especially at this time of the year approaching Christmas they tailor their articles to those just beginning or reentering the hobby. I hope this is of some help.
Scott inBalto http://hometown.aol.com/aknieriem/menu.htm
Thanks for the replies. I think at this time I will buy all three for a few months and check out Model Railroading to boot. Then decide on which ones to subscribe to. Thanks