Dirty Track Problem

Guys, I recently put up a loop of track under the tree that came with the On30 set I bought about five years ago. I clean the track with MAAS as I do each year. Never any problems. After a few days I decided to give the On30 train a rest and put an Athearn CF7 and a few HO cars ( metal wheels) on it mostly to give the CF7 some run time. After a day or so more went by and after the CF7 had put in about five or six hours run time the track was dirty enough to make the loco hesitate at a few spots and the light to flicker a little. I occasionally clean my track with MAAS and have had no problems with either my HOn3 track or the HO timesaver. Haven't had to clean them for months. My CF7 is relatively new an I have not run it much but I did clean the wheels thoroughly when I got it. They did not look dirty after the run under the tree and it operated fine when I put it back on the time saver. The On30 train has been back on the rails and run for about 12 hours and the track has remained clean. Any ideas on what's up with this? Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Does the CF7 have the older Athearn sintered wheels? These may look clean, but they micrioscopic holes in the surface, which IMO is the reason they collect and distribute crud.

Just a speculation.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir