Small yard detail

Another little detail to add to your yard: a mailbox.
No kidding. I've seen them at a couple places around here (Bay Area);
just the standard metal rural batting-practice box mounted on a 4x4 post.
Now if someone could explain the purpose of these in the Real World: do the trainmen like to leave each other love notes there?
--
God willing, the many crimes of the Bush Administration
will eventually be printed in a nice leatherbound,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
> Another little detail to add to your yard: a mailbox. > > No kidding. I've seen them at a couple places around here (Bay Area); > just the standard metal rural batting-practice box mounted on a 4x4 > post. > > Now if someone could explain the purpose of these in the Real World: > do the trainmen like to leave each other love notes there?
No, but you can bet they leave and collect paperwork/documents/forms for each other in them. Depending on the location and nature of the operation they may contain consignment notes, waybills, manifests, mark-offs, brake certificates, that sort of thing.

These are also at many industries that the railroad switches. Due to the 24 hour nature of railroading and the real world nature of business they need to communicate.

At Quincy Jct they have, I think an ammo can there for transferring paper work. Makes a lot of sense, they are waterproof.
--
Clark Martin