Small yard detail

Another little detail to add to your yard: a mailbox.

No kidding. I've seen them at a couple places around here (Bay Area); just the standard metal rural batting-practice box mounted on a 4x4 post.

Now if someone could explain the purpose of these in the Real World: do the trainmen like to leave each other love notes there?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No, but you can bet they leave and collect paperwork/documents/forms for each other in them. Depending on the location and nature of the operation they may contain consignment notes, waybills, manifests, mark-offs, brake certificates, that sort of thing.

Reply to
mark_newton

These are also at many industries that the railroad switches. Due to the 24 hour nature of railroading and the real world nature of business they need to communicate.

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

At Quincy Jct they have, I think an ammo can there for transferring paper work. Makes a lot of sense, they are waterproof.

Reply to
Clark Martin