OT H2's for lunch

Know this is off topic but saw something on the way to lunch that the search engines aren't helping me with. This vehicle had a bumper that divided my rear window (and my pickup is off the ground a bit) and as far as I could read backwards was a "Unimoc" or something similar. It looked like a cabover, short pickup, or very short flatbed. It probably had 30" rims and looked like it could eat Hummers for lunch. Does anyone know what this was. It was brand new if that's of interest! And it was not a monster type truck, this appeared to be a production vehicle from somebody.

Reply to
Jon Miller

It's a Swiss SUV made for the military I think. They also make all kinds of service veicules like snow plows etc.

Reply to
trainnut

Jon Miller wrote: This vehicle had a bumper that

Unimog - German I believe. An Hummers would be lunch for a Unimog

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Its probably a Mercedes Unimog sometimes spelled Unimoc. Really neat trucks. Check this link to if its the truck you saw.

Bruce Favinger

Unimog. Less pretentious than but just as egregious as a Hummer.

Reply to
Steve Caple

It's called a Unimog. The Walthers catalog is full of them.

Reply to
Neb Okla

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Oh, and here are some links:

Neb Okla

That's it, but your link wouldn't work (something about JAVA version). The other links worked fine. Boy that thing is a monster, scares the hell out of hummer drivers doesn't it !

Reply to
Jon Miller

Also, check out the Kenworth SUV's.

Neb Okla

Steve Caple wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@netnews.comcast.net:

Caple, you are such a pretentious ass.

Reply to
Tareq Qasar

It's actually built by Mercedes. They've been around for years, not too common in the states, although they are popular for snowplowing etc.

Don

Reply to
Trainman

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:40:30 -0700, "Jon Miller" shared this with the world:

It's spelled Unimog. Mercedes makes them (or Daimler-Benz, if you want to use the current name).

And to get back on topic, you can get them from Walthers.
There's even a hi-railer version

Kent Ashton

Watch it Tareq, I'll sic ELF on ya! Now, where _did_ I leave that phone number . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

They are monsters. I'm pretty sure I got a ride or evacuated from the neighborhood in one when I was a kid back in 60's during the riots and bombing in Curacao. The driver was a very small Chinese guy and we could barely see his head.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

The Australian Army uses them, wierd things to follow behind. Did you notice that the axles are actually offset from the hub, in order to increase ground clearance? Spur gears connect the axle to the hub. If they are fitted with the optional balloon tyres, they will go just about anywhere, but they (the balloons) are not good on longevity. Just about all the ones I have seen use normal off road/truck tyres.

Steve Newcastle Oz

Reply to
Steve Magee

Unimog made by Mercedes-Benz. Street legal!

MJM

Reply to
ATSF3460

Jon,

May have been a Mercedes Benz Unimog, a sort of off-road vehicle. Didn't know they were available here in U.S.

Bill

Reply to
Bill McMillan

know they were available here in U.S.< Checking the Mercedes site it was indeed a Unimog. All black and with a CA plate so if it's street legal in CA it must be everywhere. It was brand new so guess someone ordered it or they may be selling them from the showrooms. Hummers are popular here as I see them everyday so why not Unimogs!

Reply to
Jon Miller

Why not RPGs?

Reply to