Power for Diditrax DS54

My question is with multiple DS54's are they all connected to the track bus and to separate power supplies? Also can several DS54's be connected to the same power supply taking into consideration the load and rating of the supply? I am using Tortoise switch machines and will have either diode or bulb indicator on the fascia.

R Foster

Reply to
Richard Foster

I have a couple DS54's powering Tortii, and just connect them to the rails (actually a separate section fed off a PM42) and the Loconet. I used an external power supply for the first one I installed, but it didn't make any difference whatsoever in the speed the Tortii ran, so I removed it and run them un-powered. Haven't noticed any detrimental effects by doing so, although YMMV.

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

I just removed 22 ea. DS54s as I switched to NCE. I realize that they can function with NCE, but I found that during operating sessions, everyone was using panel buttons for switching operations. These are in perfect shape and I am open to offers for all 22. Rumors were about among folks who know me and my Piermont Division railroad...that I did not care for Digitrax. This is false!! It is a fine system and I like it very much....It just did not like me!!! NCE does..and that is what is important to me!!!

Reply to
Howard Zane

Reply to
Richard Foster

I'd be interested in them. YGM.

Reply to
Rick

ll be more than sufficient. I use the aux power because I have some Pecos and they need lots of current to operate. You can save some money buy purchasing DS44s or one of the other slow motion only stationary decoders.

If you do run Peco then one supply is sufficient for all DS54s. The only limitation is on how many turnouts you want to throw at the same time. I recommend that you only throw one Peco at a time. The computer control software I use allows me to sequence the turnouts when I want to through multiple turnouts (in that way each turnout throws after the other has completed its operation).

Ken Harstine

[This followup was posted to rec.models.railroad and a c> I'd be interested in them. YGM.
Reply to
Ken Harstine

Thank you all for the advice. I'm still in the workbench testing and experiment stage while I finish up my trackplan. I hope to start construction soon.

Reply to
Richard Foster